Got the itch to build again.

Hell everyone my name is Cliff and as the title says I got the itch to build another gun, the challenge on this one is I'm coming off some strokes so this will be like occupational therapy. I'm going to build on a true remington 700 action which will be a first for me and I'm thinking 7mm08 for the caliber. Open to any advice.

Thank you.ting
The 7-08 would be perfect. I have a 260 Remington and my pop asked me if I had it to do all over again what would I build. I told him a 7-08. the best grain bullet for the 260 is the 140 grains. So if you look at the 140 grain bullets in the 7mm category the B.C.s are pretty close but favor the 6.5. But the 7mm has a higher S.D. It is a lot more easy to find 7-08 ammo as well. It's getting harder and harder for my dad to reload. I load for him when I can but it's not all ways easy. He wants 140 grain, 150-154 grain 162 grain, 168 grain bullets. That is a lot of data for one gun. I told him just load the 140 and be done. If you want a heavier bullet just load some 162 grain to 168 grains in his 280. Good luck on your build.

Cliff- have you given any considerations to the .224 Texas Trophy Hunter and heavy bullets? I had a Kimber 84M originally in 7mm/08. I later had an 8 inch twist Lilja factory contour barrel made up in .224, my smith chambered and finished it. I also had a brake put on it to see "my bullet strike" on varmints/coyotes, I settled on the Scirocco 75gr and it shot them at 3600fps. I killed a 300 pound sow with it too, 24 yds! ha Anyhow, R22 was the Huckleberry. Good luck to you Pard!

Cliff- have you given any considerations to the .224 Texas Trophy Hunter and heavy bullets? I had a Kimber 84M originally in 7mm/08. I later had an 8 inch twist Lilja factory contour barrel made up in .224, my smith chambered and finished it. I also had a brake put on it to see "my bullet strike" on varmints/coyotes, I settled on the Scirocco 75gr and it shot them at 3600fps. I killed a 300 pound sow with it too, 24 yds! ha Anyhow, R22 was the Huckleberry. Good luck to you Pard!

Any more I'd just go 22 creedmoor due to brass and load data anymore. I had a 22/6mm and while fun the 22 creed is a better design in my opinion.

Hell everyone my name is Cliff and as the title says I got the itch to build another gun, the challenge on this one is I'm coming off some strokes so this will be like occupational therapy. I'm going to build on a true remington 700 action which will be a first for me and I'm thinking 7mm08 for the caliber. Open to any advice.

Thank you.
6 creed has been a fascinating round

I build bolt guns from Savage rifles that I find inexpensive on line but it's not really building but more like in unassembling and then reassembling with a barrel of choice. Oh yes there is a little tweaking done for accuracy but that's it in a nutshell.
Now for therapy I build long guns. Trust me that it tests your mind and body to produce the fit and finish that you can be proud of. But I enjoy building and shooting both.
What kind of tweaking. I am interested.

I'm working on a Savage. Beside the barrel, I bedded it in a chassis, I did a spring swap and shim on the Accutrigger and I fixed up the bolt with a fluted sleeve and an extended handle. I might add a bolt lift kit but it's already pretty smooth.

That's about all I can do short of a time and true job. It already seems pretty much in time and my receiver was faced but not trued to the receiver threads. I didn't think there was enough wrong to justify sending it out.

6mm Creed- yes, I think thats the way to go for a fast .224, finding 6mm Remington was easy when I had my fun with the 224 TTH. Of course, one could work with 257 rbts or 7x57 but its a hassle, not to mention dealing with "the donut", ha. Even a fast twist 22-250 AI worked swell for me with the Hornady 68gr OTM. I am one of those that feel "for deer/exotics", the 120gr NBT is the best for the 7mm. :) As far as that goes, the 6.5/284/120 NBT is just awesome on them too! Lots of good choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.