Got the EDGE built....need your help

C

chuck williams

i just finished an EDGE for a buddy on a stiller predator, 6 groove rock barrel out of the classifieds here, and bedded in a choate varmint stock. NO MUZZLE BRAKE (he is much tougher than i am). everything went together well and i did my best to make sure everything was right. we went to the range yesterday to start the load development. all groups were three shot with h-1000, 300gr sierras and winchester or wolf primers because that is all we had on hand. i started at 92gr and went to 94 at .5 increments. every load had a click at the top of the bolt stroke and the heavier loads showed ejector swipes. most loads were consistently .650 while 93.5 was a very nice .300. i went back and loaded more with fired brass starting at 90gr and working to 92 at .5 increments. the click was still evindent on every load and most loads shot .650 with 92gr being the best at .300. all loads were with standard hornady .338 RUM dies set to give .001 shoulder setback. i think my buddy was a little dissappointed with the accuracy. i tried to explain to him that this was not BR gun and that we were just getting started. my question is this. will a switch to the CCI 250 make that much difference in accuracy? also, is there anything else to look at right now? what is the bolt clicking even with the lighter loads? this is the most consistent .650 rifle i have ever seen! groups are nice and round telling me there is not likely a mechanical issue. i think he was hoping for consistent .250 accuracy but this is no PPC. any help from people familiar with this cartridge would be much appreciated.

chuck

I have an edge and I all so use the 300smk but I use fed 215 or cci 250 with 93gr of retumbo I have never shot it at 100yrds but at 250yrds it will shoot .250 group you might wont to try it because I also tried h-1000 and it had groups of 1"and bigger hope that helps you good luck

Double check your head spacing isn't too tight. That might be playing into the click at the top of your bolt stroke. I know that head spacing was an issue with my Savage. We opened it up a little and the bolt problems went away.

Tank

i pushed the shoulders back .001-.002. so that should not be an issue. any other ideas?

chuck

Work your load ladder starting at 300 or 500 yards. Basically, you are wasting bullets, powder, primers, and brass. If you don't know what the rifle likes at the beginning of extended distances, you can do a lot of load development and not be able to use anything.

Retumbo with 300 gr SMK's is the ticket in the Savage Target action that I built for my shooting partner.

I agree with the post above the 300smk's come into their own past the 250 yard mark ,by this distance they have had a chance to stabilize properly, they are a long heavy bullet,i use the 215m primers.I also must say consistent .6's is great for no brake.

i wont be too concerned with what its doing then and we will test it at 550yds when the cci250 and some more bullets come in. i also advised him to get some retumbo to try. thanks again for the time.

chuck

finally got to shoot at 550. loads were with 92gr retumbo and 92 h-1000 with the 300 sierra winchester LRM primers. the rifle never shot at group over 3" and most were closer to 2". the group of the day was 1.5" on the button. retumbo is a little faster and on average shoots a little tighter but he already bought and 8 pounder of h-1000. i am please to say that he is VERY happy now and he should be. i havnt built myself a rifle that is this consistently accurate at that range yet.

chuck

What kind of speed are you getting out of that load?

With a 32" Rock Creek barrel on the Savage, we are in the 2950 range.

Barrel is arriving on the 1000 round mark...and will be borescoping soon. Accuracy has NOT dropped off.

ALL of the bullets through this barrel have been coated with Danzac/WS2....we will see if this helps or not.

the barrel was a 28" blank and i finished it at 27 1/4". it is one of the 6 groove rocks that were for sale here on the forums. the h-1000 load is right at 2825 and the retumbo is 2875. it took 10 minutes of elevation to reach 550 from a 100yd zero. the retumbo is shooting 1/2 minute flatter at that distance. recoil is not as bad as expected with no brake. when i get around to building mine it will have one though!

chuck

the barrel was a 28" blank and i finished it at 27 1/4". it is one of the 6 groove rocks that were for sale here on the forums. the h-1000 load is right at 2825 and the retumbo is 2875. it took 10 minutes of elevation to reach 550 from a 100yd zero. the retumbo is shooting 1/2 minute flatter at that distance. recoil is not as bad as expected with no brake. when i get around to building mine it will have one though!

chuck

I am 5'11" and 265. I shot the first 15 rounds through the one that I built without the brake (had not arrived yet). We were getting down to the wire and had to start developing loads, sighting in rifle, etc.

With an insulated jacket on (Carhart), after 15 shots, I had a bruise from the crook of my elbow to the center of my chest. Not a purple one...but definitely turned a shade of purply/blue.

I don't know how your buddy can shoot that puppy...without needing a chiropractor, ice pack, and a masseuse on standby!

The Savage Target action with F/TR laminate stock and Nightforce ended up weighing 24.5 pounds with the 32" Rock Creek barrel.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts