Got my rough cut stock blank.

Jim in Cali

Finally got this *** back now time to do some serious re contouring rasping, sanding and apply a tint base coat and then finish it off with a high gloss clear. I'm gonna give it the McMillan A2 style with a twist of a Cooper Varmint forearm.:D

Yeah this is that Maple blank I tried to sell here but lucky for me there were no takers, look how it turned out. I like it a bunch!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 146
I like the figured Maple. Would look good finished in some type of hand rubbed oil finish though. Might contact Joe Russo here on the forum and ask for his recommendation on finish.

Again nice!

Broke out some tools and started the make over this morning, slow but sure she'll get done.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 163
More progress and it's getting there, still needs some TLC here and there but over all it's looking pretty nice.IMO

Attachments

• maple stock 001.jpg
    maple stock 001.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 142
  • maple stock 002.jpg
    maple stock 002.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 137
  • maple stock 006.jpg
    maple stock 006.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 131
  • maple stock 010.jpg
    maple stock 010.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 127
  • maple stock 007.jpg
    maple stock 007.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 136
That's a beautiful piece of wood and you are doing a very fine job.

What action are you putting in it?

It's a Savage action with a take off varmint barrel from Savage it's fluted with a brake and chambered in 243 Ackley off course it's a rechamber. Never owned a Savage but figured what the hell so I made a deal and started a build. Had the blank from long ago and figured why not, I'll just make a nice looking Savage. Oh and thanks for the compliments.

Added some stippling to the grip area originally I didn't want a border but as it turns out I think one is much needed. I'm going to have to order a cutter to do this. In the last pic of the frontal grip area you will notice that the right is concaved and the right side has a palm swell this creates a very well fitted and super comfortable grip, I have performed this feature on most of my wood rifle stocks.

Attachments

• maple stock 001.jpg
    maple stock 001.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 129
  • maple stock 002.jpg
    maple stock 002.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 131
  • maple stock 003.jpg
    maple stock 003.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I used a Dremel tool with a Diamond ball bit. I couldn't find a regular cutter type bit in the size I wanted they were all a bit too large though it probably would have been fine but you only get one shot at this.

Finally got this *** back now time to do some serious re contouring rasping, sanding and apply a tint base coat and then finish it off with a high gloss clear. I'm gonna give it the McMillan A2 style with a twist of a Cooper Varmint forearm.:D

Yeah this is that Maple blank I tried to sell here but lucky for me there were no takers, look how it turned out. I like it a bunch!

Ok! were did you get rough stock from.

Ok! were did you get rough stock from.

I sent my blank to Richards micofit though I was VERY hesitant to do so. I picked out one of their target stocks as a base and asked that they leave extra material from the grip out. After tracing their pattern on my computer screen and then over drawing on top of that I knew I could reshape it to what I wanted to configure. it took right at 13 weeks to get it back after telling me it would be shipped in 6-8 weeks. The inletting fits 100% and overall I was quite happy with the work they did.

The cost of the shaping, inletting, Decelerator and shipping came in at $210ish + $12 to send the blank to them so $225 when sending your own blank. Styles vary but I believe the cost is roughly the same regardless, they do have options that cost a bit more but most are free of charge. I really wanted a "Russo" stock but sadly he is out of my league.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.