Got my rifle, time to start!

MasonG

Our local gun shop is going out of business and has a 10% discount on all guns now. There was a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .25-06 so I went ahead and bought it tonight. I'm deciding on a scope now. I'll keep you all updated on my progress. If anyone has one of these and has any tips I appreciate it!

25-06 is a great choice. It is my favorite caliber. Can shoot it all day long with no recoil worries, it is accurate and flat shooting. Just a plain FUN gun. I'm sure you are going to love it.

Scope? Plans on what and how far you want to shoot, but I wouldn't go crazy with the power at first, if you are planning to hunt with it. Big reason I like my 25-06 is I can shoot deer from short range to long range with it. I just ordered 2 Minox Za5 2-10x40 scopes from this place: Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY. This is the first time I have dealt with them and they did have an add in the Optics classified section of this site. The scopes were demo and have a very good price. It is basically a $500 scope for $300. The scopes have German glass and are assembled in the US. I like the 2x10 range. I got one for my 25-06 and the other for my wife's .243. Other than that both Nikon and Zeiss are also good. Try to get the best scope you can. It will improve accuracy. Zeiss scopes have very good resolution. For example I can see bullet holes at 300 yards with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 that it takes me a 6-24 to see with a Nikon Monarch. The Nikons do have advantages too. So research a LOT of scopes and buy what you feel fits your needs. --- Once I get my Minox scopes zeroed in, I will report back on what I find. Should be 3 weeks though. Those Minox scopes just seem to be a smokin deal right now.

Oh.. hopefully you get into reloading for it. I use Winchester brass with Retumbo powder and Nosler 110 grain Accubonds. Just look this load combo up on the web. It has proven to give good accuracy and velocity from the 25-06. velocity is everything to the 25-06.

Thanks for the info! I do plan on starting to reload. As for scopes I was thinking of a Nikon or Leupold. I have a Nikon on a 300 WSM and a Nikon on a muzzleloader and love both. I would really love to get atleast 600 yards out of this rifle if not a little more. I will check out the Minox because I've never heard of them. Please let me know how yours works. I need to do some more research on glass bedding because I plan on doing that to this rifle and maybe my 300 WSM. Thanks for the info I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I agree whole heartedly I love my 25 cals. My oldest daughter shoots a tikka t3 lite in 25-06 my wife shoots a sako in 25-06 and i have one built on a old remmy 700 action and they all shoot well and are not kickers. The 700 will be my youngests rifle when she is big enough. I hunted all over N America with a old Ruger 77 in 25-06. Alot of people will tell u that it is to light for elk and i agree to a degree. I have killed atleast 10 elk with 25 cals. That being said i pick my shots and only shoot when i am certian of a good shot. I moved up to a 257 WTBY about 15 yrs ago. My oldest shoots coyotes all winter long with hers and loves it. I will say medium sized game the 25cal is my absolute favorite. Good luck with yours and enjoy it, it is easy to get addicted to the 25-06....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.