Got My first "long range killer" 300 rum need help

it says the a max is not a good hunting bullet have u killed any game with this bullet i think under 300 yards on a shoulder it might be a bullet failure i mean this is a long range rilfe but **** if that trophy steps out at 50 yards im gunna squeeze... last yr i shot a 14 point with my .270 at 10 yards away haha

The closest shot my RUM has EVER taken on game is 300 yards. It is a dedicated longrange prone rig. There is very little 'carry' in the rifle as it is looooong and heavy. If a deer were to step out at really close range, I generally hunt with my nephew or brother. Their 270's loaded with 130grain bullets handle the 'local security.'

That is a sweet looking rifle. You can easily determine the effective range of the bullet you use by using a ballistic calculator. A .5ish BC will be borderline to 1000 yds at PA elevations, using 1800 fps as a minimum opening velocity. For 180 gr bullets you can expect velocities in the range of 3300-3400 fps.

In order to get the most out of the RUM, use heavier bullets. I plan to use the 230 Berger Hybrids in mine with RL33 as first choice of powder. I'll also be trying 200 gr Cutting Edge Bullets with Retumbo. There are several advantages of going with heavier bullets. Most being in external ballistics of greater BC for greater range and less wind drift. Also more mass and destruction delivered down range as well as slower short range velocities for more controlled expansion and less damage. Also slower burning powders with lower velocities will increase your barrel life. Everything about the bigger bullets is good.

Welcome to LRH

can you recommend a less expensive glass for now untill i get out of college the only income i get is my gi bill would this scope be good enough for the job ? C4 Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

can you recommend a less expensive glass for now untill i get out of college the only income i get is my gi bill would this scope be good enough for the job ? C4 Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

My only experience with a reliable LR scope is Nightforce. My other scopes don't qualify. So my recommendations are without experience and based on what I've read on this forum.

Not necessarily in order of preference...

Vortex Viper PST
Vortex HS
Zeiss Conquest HD5
Zeiss Conquest
Sightron SIII

I do have a Clearage Ultra XP5 but I haven't shot it or wrung it out that much

Welcome - Clearidge Optics!

Keep in mind that the 300 RUM has a lot of recoil and will push most scopes to their limits and maybe farther.

Do a search on budget long range scopes and read as much as you can to make a good decision. If you like the Clearage, mine is for sale for $500.

Last edited:
Although I am sure that Burris makes some pretty good scopes, I am not a fan of 'cartridge calibrated' scopes. (what happens if you want to put it on a different rifle?)

the Super Sniper line of scopes are a good value. They are decent glass, have reliable adjustments and you can get it with or without a parallax adjustment (focus). I recommend you get one with a parallac adjustment.

SWFA Riflescopes SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes SWFA SS MOA Scopes

another company to consider is Bushnell. I have one of their 3200 fixed 10x scopes

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

You can read a review of the Bushnell and the Super Sniper here:

Low Priced Long Range Scopes

Konus M-30 scopes are also rated for .50 BMG recoil.

The M-30 8.5-32x52 is what I have on my 700 5R .308, and recently transferred it to my 7mm STW for long range load testing.

Having the Picatinny rail setup on both guns makes swapping simple. Also, keeping a log of what POI for each rifle & caliber makes swapping and re-zeroing VERY quick and simple if you only really have 1 true long range scope.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50, and it is sitting on my Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby Mag. It is an excellent scope.

The Vortex Viper PST's and Viper HS LR scopes are VERY nice for their price-point, as well. I have been looking at getting an HS LR 6-24x50 XLR (MOA) scope for my STW, for LR hunting, and put the Konus back on the .308...

But I have also been thinking about saving up and just getting a Nighforce NXS 8-32x56 MOAR and putting that on the STW...

Decisions decisions...

But for $899, the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 would be an excellent choice for you.

Don't worry about the Zeiss not being able to handle the recoil...This is quoted directly off their website...

"ALL Zeiss riflescopes and red-dot sights are rated to the same recoil resistance of 1,500 'g's at 1 millisecond. This is about 4x the recoil of a .460 Weatherby Magnum. They will also handle the reverse recoil cycles of rifles with muzzle brakes as well as that of airguns."

Read the first question and answer under the Q&A section...

Durable 1in scopes from Carl Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.