Got my first fallow buck in Sweden

bronco

Well after a long and COLD hunting season here in Sweden, I finally put down a decent fallow buck.

He came in right before dusk with 10 other does and smaller bucks. Temp was about 9*F and we hunted from sun up to sun down with heavy snowfall the whole day. After the shot the others scattered except for one plump doe. A quick adjustment and shot put her on the ground too.

Sorry about the cell phone pictures... It was all I had with me.

Attachments

• 20130212_172859.jpg
    20130212_172859.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 126
  • 20130212_172934.jpg
    20130212_172934.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 20130212_170315.jpg
    20130212_170315.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 165
Congrats on a successful hunt!!! I don't know too much about fallows but he looks like a nice one. What type of rifle scope combo are you using looks like a sako or tikka and in what caliber?
Always interested in how ppl hunt in other places as well, were you spot and stalk or stand hunting?

The fallow deer hunting is done a lot by pushing them on foot and sometimes with a dog. I prefer spot and stalk like I grew up doing for big game in the Western US. The day I harvested this deer was spot and stalk all day and then I jumped in a stand for the last hour or so of daylight because it got too dark in the forest to be effective. This buck came in with a herd to the stand and presented a shot just before dusk.

The rifle I have "long term borrowed" for the duration of my contract in Sweden is a Heym SR30 in 30-06 topped with a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 scope. Loaded up with Norma brass and 180 grain Rhino brand bullets. A little heavy for the fallow deer but it does a number on bigger boars.

I have also been shooting 9.3x57 and 9.3x62 quite a bit. I love these rounds! So much so that I just bought a AHR modified CZ 550 in 9.3x62 off Gunbroker that will be waiting for me when I get back to the states.

Sounds like a good time. I've mostly stand hunted growing up in KY, few times I've stalked and its a ton more interesting. I'm guessing the rifles you mentioned are only available in Europe, CZ is the only one I'd heard of before. The calibers you mentioned all seem interesting, definitely worth studying up on. If you don't mind my asking what line of work are you in?

If you don't mind my asking what line of work are you in?

I am the lead mechanic of a Sikorsky Aircraft Maintenance Team. We have been contracted for three years to instruct and provide maintenance support for the Swedish Air Force whose government recently purchased fifteen UH-60M Blackhawk helicopters from US.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.