Got my .264 Mag load "FINALLY"

After litterally years of messing with trying to get a premium hunting bullet under 140 grains to fly fast and accurate from my old Westerer I found the "magic bean". I searched all the forums and gun articles I could find over the last few weeks including this one and found mention of a couple fellas who heard of a couple of fellas that knew some other fellas that had used some IMR 7828 with good results . They couldnt remember what bullet or charge weight was being used but at least they remembered the powder. I then went to my dozen or so reload manuals and found those that did list 7828 did so for the heavier for calibre bullets but seeing as to how I already had a pound of the stuff on the shelf I thought what the heck , give it a shot and see what happens. I opted to use a bullet with a long load bearing surface and settled on the 125 nosler partition. I used max load data for the 140gr. as my red flag zone and bear in mind I had the short throat reamed out of my old Westerner and have noted nearly all top end loads not to show excess pressure signs. I loaded 5 rounds at 65.0grs of the 7828 and got a group that measured 1 1/4 in. at 100 yds . Next came 5 rounds at 65.5grs and took the group down to 7/8 in. ,,, OK this looks promising, time to set up the old chrony.... The next 5 shot string at 66.0grs. put me on a 1/2 in. group with a 19 fps deviation at 3,230 fps . From an old war horse Model 70 I couldnt be happier .

Relief at last, I've had sleepless nights over A gun I couldn't make shoot. Hope it
proves out as good for you when you go back to the range.

That's a great result. I'm waiting on the permit for my pristine Remington 700 ('64-'70) .264WM so i can take delivery.

That is good info on the slow powders.

i was shotting 63 gr 7828 with 120 gr with good results. sounds like i need to try more powder. i have never chron. it . 2 or 3 grains would make big defference at longer yardage.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.