Got in some shooting time this weekend.....

41mag

Well let me start off by first saying thanks to all who have put up with, and answered questions I might have asked in the past couple of months. I realize that I AM a newby here and I DON'T want to offend anyone by asking mondane questions that after searching through hours of post I could not find what I was asking about. I did however find a TON of other info, which will assuredly help out sometime in the future.

ANyway, my pardner and I have gotten somewhat into this LR gig more so from a pest control issue. Our PD's and GH's are in the form of feral hogs. Some of you whom I have contacted already knew this but some here don't. We both work in the Tx Medical CTR and have a limited amount of time to spend doing what most or at least some of you can do out your back doors. When we do hit the field however we generally burn every minute of daylight working on something.

This past month my bud picked up a 300 RUM that if had been shot, it wasn't much. He sent it out west for a attitude adjustment and it came back a sweet shooting little thing. Thanks Kirby, my shoulder is VERY appreciative. My bud and I sort of work together as many of you I figure do also. I am more into the loads and technical stuff, so I generally do most of the developemnt. This might sound like a one sided deal but he provides me with more land than I could hunt in any three seasons, as well as all the hogs I can shoot just about anytime I feel like going after them, year round.

So this past weekend we were out there in the limited time we had, shooting our first ladder with this rifle. He chose and loaded the bullets two at a time up through several weights of H-1000. He laughed and commented that you don't throw loads for this pig you dump them straight out of the can. LOL I think he started in around 89grs and went up through 92 or so in half gr increments. The bullets were the 220gr Sierra MK's. He loaded them into some Federal cases and we were set. The target was placed out at 300 yds. I hunkered down and set the scope to hit the backer using some factory Rem. 180's.

After getting somewhat on the targets in the 15 to whatever gusting wind, I proceeded to put somewhere around a dozen or so of the 220's into a less than 4" group, with 2 coming in at close to 1". The wind was coming in from a 4 o'clock position so we didn't really bother with adjusting the scope for anything. WE would shoot two shots, then ride out there and mark them according to powder weights. All in all it was a lot of fun even in the seemingly gale winds. We were however protected from it by shooting form inside the barn. However I can attest that even in a 60x100 barn that thing really roars. LOL

I haven't posted much at all compared to some as I spend most of my time researching the old post, and if I do have a question I generally try to contact that member directly. I have found though that many do not have addresses which I understand. Myself, I have one of mine posted up in my profile. It is checked every day and generally responded to accordingly. I am sure that in the upcoming months that I will have several questions concerning things which have been covered before. Rest assured, that if you see it posted, it has been searched to death and I did not find the particular answer I was looking for or I wouldn't have asked. As for being new, well, maybe to this forum, maybe to some who have been hunting and reloading for more than 30+ yrs. But I have been doing serious shooting for more of my life than most folks my age, and my only limitations are self imposed. Now at the age of 42, I can honestly say that, I look forward to each coming year. Some might look at it that way, but I have a 4 yr old grandsone who is chompin at the bit to get out there and hunt with PawPa, and I am just as eager to have him along.

I look forward to reading much more and learning much more from everyone here. This has truely been a great place for me for the past year or so. Thanks for making it interesting.

Mike,
You are doing it right - find a good partner, find some land to shoot on, get some info to work from and start pulling the trigger. I feel very sorry for the hoggies on that property /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

This is a good place to learn about a lot of stuff - don't be afraid to ask. And keep us posted on how the Ultramag does on those four-legged bullet-test critters.

Hopefully we will find out how it effects the swine anatomy this coming weekend. We have to move some equipment to one of their other properties, and those hogs haven't been harassed nearly as much as the ones where we normally go. Besides the cotton farmer is picking as fast as he can to get his crop in before we have any substantial rains like we got last year. This past weekend he had 20+ truck sized bales up and was only about 1/3 through. Soon as they get through pickin, they cut the stalks and thats when the real fun begins.

I will definately post up the results no matter how grizzly they might be. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.