Got busy - made a range

These are great! Just shows what we can do to keep our sport going even during tough times. I can now shoot 200 but I am actually shooting across our elevated block garden where we have bird feeders. I told my wife the birds would "hear" the bullet coming and move out of the way. :eek: I have feeling I will be stuck on 100 once we have another "discussion". What say you?

I used to go visit my great grandmother and some of her children in the Forks of Elkhorn...Hockensmith's...almost all of them have passed away now....haven't been there in 25 yrs, but think of that place often...

Here you go, brother. 221 Switzer. Anything like you remember?;)
0B1D77A6-78E5-48EF-9460-1418CE9A4980.jpeg

Here's what I got. 238 yards to the trees but only about 200 yards usable the way the field crests. This will be planted in soy-beans in May. Then I got a plot right behind me. It's really tempting but with all the food and bedding around I just can't do it ☹️☹️

Attachments

• A6B6A2AE-AE5A-49C5-B0C1-EEA022EE1A7E.jpeg
    A6B6A2AE-AE5A-49C5-B0C1-EEA022EE1A7E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • D49C46BD-B40D-44C9-9984-C7D493C7B63F.jpeg
    D49C46BD-B40D-44C9-9984-C7D493C7B63F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Yz80 I have a 300 yard range right down the middle of my food plots and the deer don't care one bit. Some times they come out before you get your group done. I've had several guys shooting for hours and 10 minutes after they are done the deer are in the field. I've been aiming at my 300 yard target and have deer walk past the target while I was aiming. They may be shy for a few weeks but they get used to the fact that your shooting doesn't hurt them and it stops bothering them. I shoot 4 to 5 days a week because I build rifles. It's nice having a concrete shooting bench 10 ft from my loading bench. Only thing I would like more is to have 700 more yards. I only have 55 acres and I can't do it. I've looked at it every way possible.
Shep

Yz80 I have a 300 yard range right down the middle of my food plots and the deer don't care one bit. Some times they come out before you get your group done. I've had several guys shooting for hours and 10 minutes after they are done the deer are in the field. I've been aiming at my 300 yard target and have deer walk past the target while I was aiming. They may be shy for a few weeks but they get used to the fact that your shooting doesn't hurt them and it stops bothering them. I shoot 4 to 5 days a week because I build rifles. It's nice having a concrete shooting bench 10 ft from my loading bench. Only thing I would like more is to have 700 more yards. I only have 55 acres and I can't do it. I've looked at it every way possible.
Shep
I don't doubt it. I used to belong to a range where we had to have cease fires due to deer activity. I'm still a little hesitant on how it will be received by the neighbors, as at least 2 plots are bisected by property lines. I may still broach the topic with them. They may be OK if it's for occasional testing but they'd probably have a cow if I went "Knob Creek" back there with the rattle guns!

Hey...thanks a lot for that pic! That's perfect....only real change I see is the old barn has been converted into living quarters, I guess. My great grandparents (Larue and Georgie Hockensmith) lived there and she probably had all 5 of her kids in that house starting in 1913.... I remember a wood burning stove in the kitchen and they burned big blocks of coal in the main fireplace. My uncle Bob used to walk us kids down the RR track behind the house to an old cave about 1/4 mile away. Last I knew, Bruce Bratton was living in that house. His mother was a granddaughter to Georgie and Larue. Bruce's grand father (Bruce Hockensmith) ran a little store right across the road from 221. My cousins and I spent many an hour in that creek....good ol' days! Thanks for the memories Deputy819!

Hearing stories like this always take me back to the days of my youth being at my grandparents house. Playing in the creek all day or one time getting lost in the woods over night. Sled riding on the big hill in the back yard and smashing my nose on a tree branch. Shooting a 12 guage when your 5 yrs old just so your uncle can laugh at you. Eating chestnuts from on top the wood stove. Whatching HeeHaw every night not knowing then how hot all those girls were. You know all that good stuff. I get home every now and then and drive by the place and think man this place looked bigger when I was a kid. Miss those days.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.