Got a question about rings and bases on my Model 700

I have a Rem model 700, and a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 LR scope. I bought a set of Leupold DD 2 piece bases, and both low and med rings to go with it. The low rings didn't appear to work, but I also tried putting the scope on with the med rings (which I figured would be no problem at all). Clearance with the barrel and all are no problem, but it looks like when I pull my bolt up, that it will contact the rear of my scope. I have seen several people with this combo on their rifles on this site, and others, so what could be the problem with mine? Do I need to go with a set of high rings, or is that even going to help?

I have about half a dozen rem 700 with med, and one with high rings, and med would have worked on it as well. That said I also have 20moa 1 piece bases on all, so it could be you just need a little more height in the base. jmo

I'm not sure what you mean by "didn't appear to work" and "looks like...it will contact the rear of the scope". It either works or it doesn't, no maybe. Does the Obj. bell touch the barrel with the lows? Does the bolt handle hit the eyepiece with the med? If neither works, go with the highs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.