Got a new toy

Other than smoothing lands , which is also very much silly, I don't believe that there is anything bullets, a brush, or a certain oil can do that a machinist hasn't already. Doesn't make sense.

I know people think its hog wash, but I believe the break in has a useful purpose. I have seen my loads go from not working so well with big fps swings, to very consistent and tighter ES. I believe in the barrel break in. It's all a matter of personal preference. I suppose a cut rifled barrel that has been lapped properly you would be wasting your time.... I don't know. I'm easy, just not cheap!:D

I know people think its hog wash, but I believe the break in has a useful purpose. I have seen my loads go from not working so well with big fps swings, to very consistent and tighter ES. I believe in the barrel break in. It's all a matter of personal preference. I suppose a cut rifled barrel that has been lapped properly you would be wasting your time.... I don't know. I'm easy, just not cheap!:D

As long as it makes you happy, tank. I can't/won't take that from you. It's the binky/Teddy/blanky that some men refuse to give up, no matter how goofy they look in public. :D

When I take delivery on this Izhmash Saiga 7.62x39 this Friday, I'm gonna hit you up on why I might take the time to shake holy water on it's new barrel when I shoot it...teehee.

As long as it makes you happy, tank. I can't/won't take that from you. It's the binky/Teddy/blanky that some men refuse to give up, no matter how goofy they look in public. :D

When I take delivery on this Izhmash Saiga 7.62x39 this Friday, I'm gonna hit you up on why I might take the time to shake holy water on it's new barrel when I shoot it...teehee.

I refuse to give up my BLANKY!!!!:D

I don't do barrel break-in for the sake of breaking it in.

Break-in just happens in my opinion. So, I simply see it as cleaning more regularly at first. I feel like there is some improvement in both cleaning and precision/accuracy.

But, I also don't waste barrel life on cheap ammo. I basically start load development from day one.

-- richard

I don't do barrel break-in for the sake of breaking it in.

Break-in just happens in my opinion. So, I simply see it as cleaning more regularly at first. I feel like there is some improvement in both cleaning and precision/accuracy.

But, I also don't waste barrel life on cheap ammo. I basically start load development from day one.

-- richard

Im anal, so I regularly clean literally after every range trip, minus running a boresnake through every once in awhile to clear gunk out on extended shooting sessions. I can honestly say I have personally never seen the difference in accuracy when shooting a new gun and performing said "break in". Im from the J.S.I. camp. It has served me well.

But, Im off topic.

Well sorry for the long delay. I got the gun all set up with a vortex pst 6-24 with the ffp moa reticle and love it. Work got crazy this summer and havent had time to shoot much or reload much. I am just going to end up shooting factory ammo for this fall and will have a load ready for next year. I bought 6 different types of ammo and was shooting the cheaper fusion ammo just to do barrel break in and get on paper. Turns out...out of all the federal premium and HSM and nosler ammo i shot the fusion 165gr shot much much better. I think since i am just hunting deer and antelope this fall i will stick to the fusion.

It is shooting ok with factory ammo it is holding about 1.5" groups at 200 yds. I have a 20 gong and am having no problems hitting it 90% of the time out to 600yds in all different wind conditions. I know thats a big target but i am new to it and learning to read wind contions still.

Anybody have any other factory loads that they think i should try?

I would get a box of each....Barnes VOR-TX_TTSX and Hornady GMX to cover the non lead future requirements and never have jacket problems if you drive too fast.:rolleyes:
Good luck.:)

I really wouldn't sweat the barrel break in too much, most Savages shoot better dirty. My Savage .300 WSM really likes the Nosler 180 grain and 165 grain Ballistic tip bullets. I am also going to try the 180 Accubond when I get a chance. You should be able to get any of these in Nosler ammo, I didn't check to see for sure though. I have had good luck so far with H4831sc and Federal 215 primers. It sounds like the Fusion ammo is going to be fine for your hunting this fall.

Good luck !
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.