got a new 223 :)

archer786

So I got me a new rifle last week, Rem 700 sps tactical in the 223 with the NIKON m223 on top... I've been wanting a smaller more cost effective round for quite some time. You know something to take on one of those days where you just wanna go out and shoot at stuff, rocks, crows, paper etc etc.. so I got this and I'm still in the break in process, one or two more shooting sessions and I should have it pretty well broke in.. although the groups aren't anything to brag about (golfball size @100) I am pleased to see that of the 4 kinds of ammo I've put thru it all shoot the same zero..
Any suggestion on rounds or bullet weights to try once its broke in? I'm not familiar with a 223 so its kinda new territory for me... Im used to loading slow heavy bullets in my other rifles that I use for long range work. so a light fast round is another language.

What twist rate is your Remington? I just bought a new FN TSR it has a 9 twist. I have loads worked up for the 60 V Max & 69 SMK & working on a load for the Horn. 75 HPBT. I'm assuming yours is the same twist, so if you don't reload those would be some bullet wieghts to consider.

So I got me a new rifle last week, Rem 700 sps tactical in the 223 with the NIKON m223 on top... I've been wanting a smaller more cost effective round for quite some time. You know something to take on one of those days where you just wanna go out and shoot at stuff, rocks, crows, paper etc etc.. so I got this and I'm still in the break in process, one or two more shooting sessions and I should have it pretty well broke in.. although the groups aren't anything to brag about (golfball size @100) I am pleased to see that of the 4 kinds of ammo I've put thru it all shoot the same zero..
Any suggestion on rounds or bullet weights to try once its broke in? I'm not familiar with a 223 so its kinda new territory for me... Im used to loading slow heavy bullets in my other rifles that I use for long range work. so a light fast round is another language.

I have a AR w/24"bull set up for varmit and plinking as u mention. I have found to keep costs down even more I stick with bulk pack sierras and Midway dogtown (nosler) bullets in the 50-55gr range. Everytime time i only have to throw a charge of 26.5grs it makes me :D. I have some pretty good sources for other bulk bullets and brass and surplus powder if needed.

Gene

Gene

I have a 1:9 Savage 12FV .223 and was out working on some heavy Varget loads today. My Savage absolutely loves the Hornady 55gr Vmax and 75gr BTHP bullets.

Looks like this will be my Varget load for the 75gr BTHP. Range was 100yds, shot from a rest.

75grBTHP_23-5grVARGET.jpg

And to make sure my rifle still liked the Vmax.........

55grVMAX_24grH335.jpg

@gary
The twist is a 1 in 9 according to remingtons website..
@gene
Yeah, i might just break down and handload cause as the way it looks anything I'm interested in that's factory will have to be ordered so that kinda defeats the cost effective goal here.
@steve
Those are some decent groups.

I've been thinkin if i end up handloading i'll try the 69gr sierra matchking and the 62gr blitzking. Has anyone tried the blitzking?

Congrats on the purchase! I love mine, had it @ 5 months now. I've only had a chance to get it in the woods once, but I've been working with it alot at the range. I don't reload yet (tiny 1 bedroom apartment) but I've tried all the factory loads I could find so far, should steer you in the right direction. I will say first that mine wouldn't shoot better than 1.75"-2"@100yds (even w/ a benchrest, so I don't think it was me), but around 300 rnds it started pulling in tighter and tighter. Last trip the biggest group was @1.25" off a bipod(w/ 75gr TAP's) with the best @0.5"(w/ 40gr Hornady v-max).

55gr Federal-Barnes TSX- 2nd best groups
55gr Black Rock Powder Company FMJ-good, cheap practice ammo, hard to find though
62gr Federal Fusion- best cold bore shots

Dislikes
Steel-cased- tried Hornady(steel match and tap) and herters. The bolt locks about 3/4 of the way up when trying to cycle, seems random but only w/steel cases.
53gr Hornady Superformance- it may have flatter trajectory (on paper), but doesn't group like the regular 40gr v-max. Doesn't justify the price difference (to me anyways)

I haven't had a chance to try any Black Hills loads (they are marked up like crazy in Lubbock) but I'll pick some up next time I'm in Dallas and let ya know how they go. Hope this helps ya

My FN is holding 1/2 MOA with the 60 V-Max out to 400 yds. after that she opens up, but the 60 is a plan base bullet so that is to be expected. That load is 23.0 of Varget in LC brass. The 69 Sierra is the same with 23.2 of 335 all the way to 600. I'm still playing with the 75 HPBT.

@raider
Yeah thats my same situation. All the reloading stuff is 2 hours away at home. a buddy offered to let me use a storage room at his house as a reloading station so i may do that but the would take the reloading equipment away from home and my grandpa wouldnt be able to use it. But he may ok it cause he doesnt hardly reload anymore and im the one that makes all his loads.. My groups started out terrible as well but they shrink each trip, they really need to be broke in real good. I clean down to the metal before every trip and its went from softball size at a hundred to about 1 inch

@Gary
Yeah i've been thinkin about givin the v-max a try but i'd like to stick with a BT

I went out to the cow pasture monday night and there was a dead cow so i sat and capped a few coyotes..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.