Got a Donor Rifle needs some ideas!

Remmy700

So want to make a straight bench gun and maybe get into a little BR type stuff or maybe F-Class. So I got a QMM on a single shot BAT HR action with a Bart 9 twist SS barrel with .308 neck in 7 RM in a manners T2A. I traded into it and have yet to shoot it but its pretty much a straight taper barrel on it now so not really a hunting rig and it has really low round count. I thought about working a load up with some 180 Hybrids and just shoot it strictly at 1K for fun but I don't know If I want to spend all the time to get it all shooting good just to rebarrel it. I really wanted to do a SA F class build but I got this gun with no purpose in life right now. What should I do?

80F82315-D5C2-4FBE-BC6E-AAA0F82944F2.jpeg
885B9010-8160-4301-9E0D-C27164DEF9D2.jpeg

Shoot it. See if you like that course of fire. It's already a mag bolt, long action so as far as true f-class, you're not gonna make it. F class doesn't let you score with any kind of muzzle break. 60 rounds per match from a 7mag and 65+ grains of powder would probably get old pretty quick. I don't know as much on the bench rest course of fire so can't speak to that.

Since it's a single shot, you may be able to try a short-fat, nearly straight walled SAUM variant. Similar to a ppc but with a magnum case head. I don't know if it's been done, but it sure works in short range. Or something based off the Nosler line. Again, that's a lot of powder to shoot that many tines.

It's not threaded so no chance of a brake anyhow. And once a big heavy scope gets put on, this thing is going to be super heavy. I ain't worried one bit about recoil but I bet that barrel is going to be screaming lol

I will have to look into BR or fclass and see what options are. Never really dabbled in them or had much interest but if them little guns can do it I don't see why a 180 berger hybrid rolling at 3k can't.

That just isn't much advantage over the .284's. It's a marathon of absolute concentration and repeatability. That's why the smaller guns are so popular.

It may not hurt, but it will show up at 1000 yards. I get tired getting constantly smacked by far less of a gun after 2 relays. Add the heat, or the wind, or the cold or you having a bad day and it gets miserable quick.

Copy that. Thanks for your insight brother. I wanted to do a SA something but I got this ol girl just taunting me to do something with it. Might order a std bolt face bolt and do a 260 or similar! And can seat them things way out in LA and single feed.

If your getting a new bolt turn it into a shehane or a straight .284 win and see what it's all about. I also know a guy who did a 6.5x55 AI on a long action for f-class

I'd call QMM with the serial number. They shoot every rifle and may have a load for it. There are many 300wsm's and 7short fats in F-Class. The 7rm will be no more or less a recoil burden that a 300 slinging 200-230 grn slugs.

So want to make a straight bench gun and maybe get into a little BR type stuff or maybe F-Class. So I got a QMM on a single shot BAT HR action with a Bart 9 twist SS barrel with .308 neck in 7 RM in a manners T2A. I traded into it and have yet to shoot it but its pretty much a straight taper barrel on it now so not really a hunting rig and it has really low round count. I thought about working a load up with some 180 Hybrids and just shoot it strictly at 1K for fun but I don't know If I want to spend all the time to get it all shooting good just to rebarrel it. I really wanted to do a SA F class build but I got this gun with no purpose in life right now. What should I do?
SELL IT?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.