Gordons reloading tool.

Thescandinavian

Downloaded this a few weeks ago and been playing with it to develop loads for 450Marlin in bolt action.
Way outside any official reloading data, but no pressure signs and I should according to the software be able to push another 1,5grains into it before it's past what a Winchester M70 can safely handle.
Anyone else tried it and verified it towards QL data or there own guns performance?

THREAD REFRESH

Seeing as big game season is over for me, it's that's time of year for load development. Still working on my 25 Creedmoor and other than the data you create, not much out there still, but what I have works very well, using Alpha & Starline SRP, 131BJ, H4350 & CCI-BR4/Fed AR Match.

Have tested with Hybrid 100V, StaBall6.5, RL16 & SW Long Rifle. All perfect powders for 25CM.

Have had new Peterson 25CM and Berger 135 for a while and started load development. Working with SW Long Rifle & StaBall6.5, since I'v a full 8lber of each. The data from the SW Long Rifle, is very good, according to a 10 shot pressure test!

So, after my live data collection, I'm wondering if the GRT is any good, I'v had it for a little while? Time to get in there and see what it can do, I already have actual data, so let's input all my rifle, chamber & component data. After a few evenings working with it, success and it's free!
After all parameters and measurements entered and rechecked, it calculated a very accurate representation of my actual results, from the overpressure, from the 41.1gr, load with corresponding velocity, down to the starting loads and velocities!

Did I mention this is free or you can give a donation, but it does require some mental work. I might be off on couple minor parameters, somewhere, but the results were there đź‘Ť

Now, if I only had my own pressure trace tool...........

9c25a9fc0484747265e396138ca17be8.png

Im a long time quickload user and switched to GRT many months ago. Ive been helping Gordon and Charlie with some powder models recently. GRT is amazing but it is VERY dependant on details. Measure everything! water capacity of brass, bullets, everything. It can import data from labradar, magnetospeed, etc into the program and this makes things even more accurate. Once imported, run the OBT tool with the measure velocity data and the powder model can be calibrated to your case and rifle and then can put you on or very close to accuracy nodes. I've tested this with known accurate loads and the program only recommended very small powder changes proving it gets you very close. Once your speed data is input, it is much more accurate with its results. There is much more to it and everything is explained on their website. It keeps getting better as people upload their data to GRTLab. I havent used Quickload since starting GRT. GRT is normally updated monthly which cant be said for quickload. Ive saved a lot of components using it to find my accurate loads. Just keep in mind its all about the details put into it. You can also design cartridges, customize powders and bullets for your rifle, etc and its free. They also have a discord where you can quickly get help and find how to do various things in the program.

Keep in mind that GRT and Quickload are merely simulations and predictions, NOT hard fact. It isn't a replacement for established tested data from reputable sources.

Last edited:
Didn't know that chrono dat could be uploaded, thanks for that tidbit! After I got familiar with it, I went straight to cartridge designer and built a 25 Creedmoor profile. When I'm sure I have all parameters for it, I'l upload it?

It's a powerful simulation tool for the hardcore handloading nerds
Confused Video Game GIF by Far Cry 6

Didn't know that chrono dat could be uploaded, thanks for that tidbit! After I got familiar with it, I went straight to cartridge designer and built a 25 Creedmoor profile. When I'm sure I have all parameters for it, I'l upload it? You can also keep notes in the same area as the speed data by opening a note tab

It's a powerful simulation tool for the hardcore handloading nerds
Confused Video Game GIF by Far Cry 6
you can also upload pressure data if you have the pressure trace 2 system and upload targets and mark the shots on targets and its all kept in the load file.

Hopefully this can become an ongoing thread?
I would like to learn it, guess I need to use it more...

I've only used it to see powder type "what ifs", as in, which type powders that are available to purchase for the cartridges I have.

Aww man, sorry to hear this.

As one earlier reply said, a huge loss.
I really liked this app.
Prayers for his family.