Google earth accuracy

GE works fine for measuring, but I'd recommend going to Caltopo.com
It has a ton of layers, tools and map sources. Pretty much the only topo/aerial program I use anymore. Only down side is that it doesn't have public land boundaries yet.

I decided to test the distance function on GE on a few local football fields, they always measured 99-100 yards from what i could tell, pretty accurate.

I have used the 'ruler' function in google earth many times. I have compared it to known distances that I had lasered and it was dead on. I have also used it to measure distances that are well beyond my laser rangefinder's ability to get a reading so that I would know where to at least start my dope. This worked very well.

I was under the impression that Google Earth always figured distance over land. So, if you were figuring distance across a 45 degree canyon that had walls 100 yards deep, Google would say the distance was 200 yards. But if you were standing there and used a range finder, the distance across the canyon would only be 150 yards (line of sight).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.