Google earth accuracy

Russ Hatch

Anbody have an idea how accurate the measuring point to point on Google Earth is? At our lodge we can see deer on a neighbors posted property acrossed the valley. Can't reach that far with our range finders and we have a ongoing discussion of how far it is. Thought I would use Google Earth and their measuring system if it is accurate. Thanks
Russ

The .mil uses it as an imagery source. The coordinates are very accurate, and the measuring tool is only an algorithm comparing two coordinate sets. I think it could be used to settle your debate.

The distance measurements in Google Earth are pretty accurate. Altitude measurements and the 3D depiction of terrain are limited to the accuracy of the source DEM (digital elevation models) - typically obtained from USGS and NASA. For the U.S. that should typically be DEMs that are based off a 10-meter sampling grid. Elevations may be off by 1-2 meters and anything in between sample points has to be interpolated. Still, you can come close enough for most uses.

Today at work my task was to map various waypoints pertinant to our line of work. I GPS'ed about 50 with no problem. I had 5 spots that I could not access due to weather and a large body of water(our bay). I thought, how bout Google Earth. Fired it up, zoomed in on my 5 targets(which are very visable from the sat), jotted down the long and lat for each site. Cool, finished. Drove out to the area to check it out, each of the 5 waypoints from Google earth missed by up to a quarter mile or so. So bad that I could actually drive to one of the sites that is 300+ feet out in the water. Kinda makes you wonder.

Today at work my task was to map various waypoints pertinant to our line of work. I GPS'ed about 50 with no problem. I had 5 spots that I could not access due to weather and a large body of water(our bay). I thought, how bout Google Earth. Fired it up, zoomed in on my 5 targets(which are very visable from the sat), jotted down the long and lat for each site. Cool, finished. Drove out to the area to check it out, each of the 5 waypoints from Google earth missed by up to a quarter mile or so. So bad that I could actually drive to one of the sites that is 300+ feet out in the water. Kinda makes you wonder.
Verify that both your GPS and Google Earth are using the same coordinate system. I believe GE uses the WGS 84 datum.

MapMyRun.com -

Try this link, they use google maps and you can set way points and measure the distance out or out and back. Its more of a fitness thing, but it works pretty well for distance.

I looked at the deer lease I am on using mapmyrun.com. I found it very accurate on areas that I know the distance and even more helpful on areas that I want to set stands next year. I used to use it to map run coursses before I got fat and lazy. Never thought of using it like this.. thanx.

dan

Dan, I just printed out a Google Earth map of my hunting area and used the measuring feature to mark the map out in 50 yd increments from my stand. I'll use the map as a range card. This way I don't have to try to draw in the features as I used to do on the range cards. I made one for each of my stands. Printed the map the right size to fit in my dope book. Getting lazy in my old age. LOL:D

Anbody have an idea how accurate the measuring point to point on Google Earth is? At our lodge we can see deer on a neighbors posted property acrossed the valley. Can't reach that far with our range finders and we have a ongoing discussion of how far it is. Thought I would use Google Earth and their measuring system if it is accurate. Thanks
Russ

Russ.
The google map must be pretty accurate because 2 years ago I teamed it up with
my GPS using the map co-ordinance's and found a stock tank 2.3 miles from our camp
in the dark. (I had never been to this area of Colorado before) .

J E CUSTOM

For what is worth, here I go...

168x739.jpg

5eim4l.jpg

Just mapped out multiple ranges at a private gun club that I belong to Using Google Earth (version 7.0.3.8542 and dated 2/26/2013) and found it to be accurate to within one foot at 500 yards. I measured from our shooting bays/tables out to each of the visible target berms/backers. I have personally measured each of these ranges by both surveyors tape and laser to verify the exact distances so I know the Google Earth data is accurate.

If you use the "ruler" function (located on the Google Earth toolbar) you can drop a pin at one location and start stretching it out to all the various berms and get an almost exact measurement (most were within inches). You can also get a compass heading from the ruler's data box so that you can plug that data into any of the ballistic programs that you might be using.

Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts