Goodbye Sweets 7.62, hello KG12.

usmcm16a2

Folks,

I have been an avid user of Sweets for decades. But I have run into problems, the family cannot take the ammonia stench. And with Californias stupid laws I have to shoot copper bullets when I hunt. So when I go through load development, the copper builds up.
So I did some research, I stumbled on KG12. I had some absolutely stubborn copper residue that multiple treatments with 7.62 could not get rid of. I did two wet patches of the KG12, followed by 10 minute waits. The copper was gone. No ammonia, and cleared the copper residue. My .02

That's been my experience with KG12 also way better at copper removal than Sweets it doesn't color however so i keep a little Sweets around to run when I'm finished with the KG12 just to check for color. This may really be a waste of time but I'm sure there are many things I do because it's habit.

California man...holy crap, whatever they can do to hurt the shooting industry they will.

What? I am from California, so what? A2

Sorry they have super strict gun laws and I didn't know about their lead ban. That takes a huge chunk of bullets off the market for California shooters.

Sorry 300,

I am sorry if I came off like a dickhead. I missed the point of your comment. I am so used to Californians getting crapped on in out of state forums. I try to buy California legal guns on Gunbroker, sellers **** on us. Most gun owners here are fighting for our asses. I did not vote ANY of the ******** in that keep passing these laws. And I cannot move because of family. Sorry A2

Sorry 300,

I am sorry if I came off like a dickhead. I missed the point of your comment. I am so used to Californians getting crapped on in out of state forums. I try to buy California legal guns on Gunbroker, sellers **** on us. Most gun owners here are fighting for our asses. I did not vote ANY of the ******** in that keep passing these laws. And I cannot move because of family. Sorry A2

It's ok. I should've stayed on topic for your cleaning products. Just learn something new everyday.

I used KG12 on a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 that was seriously copper fouled.

A friend of mine who is a benchrrest shooter advised me that it would be very difficult to remove all of the copper. I did some research on copper solvents that did not use amonia, and KG12 seemed to one of the most effective copper removers. I followed the instructions, and all of the copper was removed in a short time. I then inspected the barrel with a bore scope and was very pleased.

I also recommended KG12 to a friend who is another benchrest shooter, and he had the same results.

I am sold on KG12.

I discovered the same results with Sweet's. BoreTech copper remover work's well and Sweet's is used as a follow up to determine if any copper remains. I will purchase some KG12 as this post indicates a much faster removal of copper.
I'm a 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran, 3 Tours. Live in Alpine, Ca. San Diego County.
California governenace is in a sorry state of affairs. I continue to be active in support of our 2nd Amendment Rights by writing letters and being active in our local San Diego County Varmint Callers Club. We provide various topics not only pertaining to calling varmints, but rifle setups, custom tuning triggers, cleaning firearms and rifle range training sessiions which include the ability to shoot long range.

I hunt elk, deer, antelope, hogs, coyotes, fox, crows and ground squrrels every chance I get.

Semper Fidelis
Sergeant of Marines (ret)
0311, 0321, 0331

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.