Good value LR hunting scope under $1,300?

lambeau

Trying to decide on a new scope for my Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm Rem Mag. Typically hunting in north Idaho where shots can range anywhere from under 100 yards in the timber for elk out to 1,000+ yards on open ridges on mulies, so mid-range magnification (3-15x & 4-16x) appear to be the sweet spot. I do have buddies who think I should opt for a 5-25x but I'm concerned about 5x being too much for hunting in the timber.
Other preferences include: 2FP(most likely), MOA (although not opposed to MIL) adjustments, well-defined reticle for range estimation, ample eye relief (3.75"-4.0") and not overly heavy.
Here's what I've come up with so far:
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 $1,250 *1FP, though
Vortex Viper PST II 3-15x44 $900
Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 $570
SWFA SS 3-15x42 $450 *back ordered 'till May
Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 $1,000
Burris XTR-II 3-15x50 $892
Burris XTR-II 4-20x50 $977
From what I can tell all of the above seem to be solid options. Would welcome any comments from those with hands on experience with any of the above. Main concerns are solid tracking and quality of glass. Did not include Leupold - even though I own several Vari-Xs - simply because I did not care for their reticle designs.
Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Burris XTR or SWFA. Both incredibly durable scopes. Only issue with the XTR is its mil and FFP which might not be optimal for hunting. It'll work though for sure. Glass is good on both scopes and the tracking is on point. My buddy competes in PRS and has about 500 firing solutions on his defiance 6.5 creedmore (2000 rds on the Rifle) with a Burris XTR II with no tracking issues and return to zero every time.

Burris XTR or SWFA. Both incredibly durable scopes. Only issue with the XTR is its mil and FFP which might not be optimal for hunting. It'll work though for sure. Glass is good on both scopes and the tracking is on point. My buddy competes in PRS and has about 500 firing solutions on his defiance 6.5 creedmore (2000 rds on the Rifle) with a Burris XTR II with no tracking issues and return to zero every time.
Thanks 300. Forgot about the FFP on the Burris. Was intrigued by the thought of going with the 4-20 as a compromise to by buddies pushing me towards a 25x.

Thanks 300. Forgot about the FFP on the Burris. Was intrigued by the thought of going with the 4-20 as a compromise to by buddies pushing me towards a 25x.

You can get the SWFAs in MOA/MOA SFP. They are like $450 I think.

Edit: you said that in your post lolz

Thanks.
Looks like an option albeit at the high end of my price range ($1,320 list on SS's website).

The actual retail price on the Whiskey 5's isn't that much. $900-$1200 depending on what you want.

I put a Whiskey 3 on a rifle the other day and I was surprised how nice it was.

I own both vortex hst 4-16 and 6-24. For the price these are incredible optics. Both track extremely well and parallax out very well. Glass is clear with crisp edges and is comparable to all the vx3 that I own. The shim style zero stop is not exact but doesn't go past half minute of zero on either scope when set up. Both mine are moa reticle 2nd plane and hold true when set to proper magnification. 16 on 4-16 and 18 on 6-24. I have shot hundreds of rounds with each and never lost zero. These are made in phillipeans if that effects your decision at all.

Optics planet has the Whiskey 5 for 10% off regular retail with discount code "SAUER"

The SOW55014 is the 5-25x52 with the MOA "Milling" reticle, which is the one I would choose. It will come in at $1260.

I'd you decide that ffp is ok, look at the Burris veracity. Same glass as the xtr 2 line, but 30 mm tube and a bit less weight. 3-15 can be had for $600, 4-20 or 5-25 run about $700.

If going new, I would the SHV F1 , if you are willing to go used, I would say what weiserbucks said.. A used NF nxs 3-15x50... You can send them back to NF for a reticle of your choice for 200.00 and you could get the MV reticle.. Good Luck!

If going new, I would the SHV F1 , if you are willing to go used, I would say what weiserbucks said.. A used NF nxs 3-15x50... You can send them back to NF for a reticle of your choice for 200.00 and you could get the MV reticle.. Good Luck!
I have have personally picked up the NXS scopes for 1k but you have to be patient.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.