GOOD TRIGGER WEIGHT FOR A HUNTING RIFLE?

My hunting rifles and match rifles have the same triggers set the same. Not sure what the issue is.

Why does a light trigger scare you? It doesn't slam fire. It inly fires when you take the safety off and pull the trigger.
That is what I said until the first time I slid the safety off and there was a big bang! Scared the livin....out of me and my nephew. Thanks for always having learned safe gun handling (always pointing down range) Never again anything in the field under 2 lb because it is just asking for trouble! And no i don't hunt like a certain Arizonan who has time, it seems, to have a smoke on his couch which he probably brought with him to be comfortable until he got around to pulling the trigger. But he sure was right that different parts of the country do hunt in different ways.

1.5 to 2 for me. Anything higher and it is extremely had to hit a run animal at a comfortable distance. I also never hunt with round in the chamber but i hunt in the west and have way more and enough time to chamber a round and shoot. If any of you are into listening to pod cast check out WOLF PRECISION and episode 46, Jamie is Talking with the guys at Trigger Tech.

2.0 +/- .5
I'm in this camp myself, all my triggers are rifle basix and timney so I set them as light as I can and not have glove quick fires. Cold up here in season so you have to take into account the reduced feel on the trigger you will have. I wear a light weight jersey cotton glove on my right shooting hand and when on stand keep it in a hand warmer. All my hunting triggers sit at 28oz. Need that for load work and target shooting, I'm not one who cranks the pull weight up and down once they are set. My sons rifle is set at 3lbs to avoid adrenaline surges :)

Seems that after getting used to a 1.5 lb. trigger on my competition rifle I want to have a hunting rifle with a pull of no more than 2.5 lbs.

So what do "all y'all" have for your hunting rifle trigger pull weight (if it is adjustable.that is)?
(Translation for western Pennsylvanians: "What's yuns's trigger pull weight?")

Eric B.
It is cold up here during our hunting seasons and I will not use a trigger on my hunting rifles with less than 2 to 4 lbs. My finger when cold loses that feel for anything less.

That's a little bit lite isn't it

Not for me it isn't.

That is what I said until the first time I slid the safety off and there was a big bang! Scared the livin....out of me and my nephew. Thanks for always having learned safe gun handling (always pointing down range) Never again anything in the field under 2 lb because it is just asking for trouble! And no i don't hunt like a certain Arizonan who has time, it seems, to have a smoke on his couch which he probably brought with him to be comfortable until he got around to pulling the trigger. But he sure was right that different parts of the country do hunt in different ways.

I don't wanna sound like an *** but that is your own fault for not properly setting your sear engagement. Same goes to anyone else who says a light trigger caused them to have an AD or ND. 100% of accidents are preventable. If you leave home with an unsafe rifle and an accident occurs, tough luck pal. It was preventable.

This is exactly what scares me about very light trigger pulls on a hunting gun. I don't want to be around them.

It is cold up here during our hunting seasons and I will not use a trigger on my hunting rifles with less than 2 to 4 lbs. My finger when cold loses that feel for anything less.
I actually target 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. I find that in actual hunting conditions trigger control needs to be automatic from practice as there are so many other variables to figure in quickly.
I seldom sit preferring still hunting or dogging the woods.

Seems that after getting used to a 1.5 lb. trigger on my competition rifle I want to have a hunting rifle with a pull of no more than 2.5 lbs.

So what do "all y'all" have for your hunting rifle trigger pull weight (if it is adjustable.that is)?

Eric B.

Eric B.
My rifles are from 1.5 to 2. I have a Russian rifle with a 1.75 and it went from a 2 inch gun at 100 to a.5 inch.

Not for me it isn't.

I don't wanna sound like an *Rule 4 Violation* but that is your own fault for not properly setting your sear engagement. Same goes to anyone else who says a light trigger caused them to have an AD or ND. 100% of accidents are preventable. If you leave home with an unsafe rifle and an accident occurs, tough luck pal. It was preventable.

X47guy, I had just the day before retrieved the malfunctioning rifle from from a local well known gunsmith who installed the new Timney trigger and mounted a new scope I purchased from him. You just assumed that I had been responsible without asking the circumstances? I also had fired 10 rounds earlier on the day of the hunt to be sure all was functioning correctly. It seemed OK except for the light trigger pull which I would have later corrected myself. In fact, both the trigger installation and scope mounting are operations I would always see to myself. In the interests of time I decided to let an expert handle the job. All that was done eventually was to put a REASONABLE TRIGGER PULL on the trigger. Getting too light is only asking for possible failure (no matter whose fault) and I play the odds in everything I do---particularly where safety is concerned.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.