GOOD TRIGGER WEIGHT FOR A HUNTING RIFLE?

I run whatever Calvin Elite's come set at out of the package. They seem light, but crisp, it is more important to me to run the same trigger on all rifles than to try match pull weights of differing brands.
I did recently try a Trigger Tech diamond on a failed project, and I could make the switch if the opportunity presented itself. I doubt I've ever blamed any of my shortcomings on a trigger though.

Litehiker, I prefer my hunting rifle to be in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3 pounds. With varying hunting scenarios and sometimes our hunting involving below zero temperatures..... cold, insensitive fingers and a light trigger are often incompatible! memtb

I use twenty ounces on my hunting rifles. When I hunted with a Freedom Arms .454 it was eighteen ounces. I like the firearm to fire when I think about it rather than have to work at it.

Seems that after getting used to a 1.5 lb. trigger on my competition rifle I want to have a hunting rifle with a pull of no more than 2.5 lbs.

So what do "all y'all" have for your hunting rifle trigger pull weight (if it is adjustable.that is)?
(Translation for western Pennsylvanians: "What's yuns's trigger pull weight?")

Eric B.

I have had to use everything from a target weight to a lawyer trigger pull because of different requirements.

Once I got into ultra light weight trigger pulls my first impressions was "WOW" so I set out on a mission to replace the triggers on my hunting rifles with these high end triggers. I placed a Jewell on one of my favorite hunting rifles and set it for 7 OZ. After shooting a dear without remembering i pulled the trigger I had to re evaluate
my thinking.

This is the way I decided what was best for Me. I took this rifle and made sure it was empty and started cocking and firing it with my eyes closed to get the feel of the weight, As I increased the trigger pull (I didn't weight it) i kept increasing it. At the point it felt great, I up'd it 2 more Ounces. and that felt a little to hard. so I backed it of to where it was and then weighed it. It was 2.2 lbs and felt great so I adjusted all of my hunting to the same weight and have been happy with all of them.

Each person has different requirements and beliefs so I recommend setting the weight like this to get the best weight for them and then weighing the trigger pull. This way you are not influenced by what you hear or what you think. In my opinion an ideal trigger pull weight is between 2 pounds and 2 pounds,5 ounces. It is safe, but hard to anticipate.

If it is a well made trigger 4 lbs is not unreasonable but I prefer and recommend somewhere between 2 and 3 pounds for hunting.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.