GOOD TRIGGER WEIGHT FOR A HUNTING RIFLE?

Like several of you have said I will sacrifice the "snap shot" opportunities and not have a round chambered. I don't like moving around with any rifle with a round chambered.

Probably only would feel different if I was on duty and a LEO or in the armed services and I am not in either.

Hunting isn't life or death typically unless you make it so so safety first

Just reading some of the replies kinda gets me to thinking,would I rather walk in front of a fellow hunter with a trigger pull of 1.5# or less,or a hunter with a 2.5 to 3.5(# trigger? Walking thru brush or high grass, could just be me but, I've always been a safety first hunter. " Anything mechanical can always fail ".( Henry Ford )

Since I always carry the rifle (20 trigger) in my hand, when I hunt with some one and they step in front of me I turn the muzzle to the rear.

Most definitely I am not into safety first. I am into fun first with safety.

If I was into safety first I would stay home and watch videos of hunting.

Seems that after getting used to a 1.5 lb. trigger on my competition rifle I want to have a hunting rifle with a pull of no more than 2.5 lbs.

So what do "all y'all" have for your hunting rifle trigger pull weight (if it is adjustable.that is)?
(Translation for western Pennsylvanians: "What's yuns's trigger pull weight?")

Eric B.
I have all mine set at 2.5 lbs
Wouldn't go any less . Nice gentle squeeze and bingo!

8 to 12 oz on all of my rifles

X47guy,
You mean 8 to 12 oz. on all your target rifles, right?

milo-2,
"lol" re. what?

Eric b.

12-16 oz for all of my Jewells and Jards.....and as light as I can safely adjust factory, Timneys and Canjars....usually 1.5-1.75#

Trigger tech diamond at 14 oz on everything for me

1 # hunting and 12 oz. Target . Jewell triggers however , NO gloves allowed , only glomits for hunting !

You guys all scare me! Remind me to not hunt with any of you. LOL.

Seriously though. All my hunting rifles are between 3 & 3-1/4 pounds. Maybe I'm old school, or my finder is stronger than most. LOL.

Seems that after getting used to a 1.5 lb. trigger on my competition rifle I want to have a hunting rifle with a pull of no more than 2.5 lbs.

So what do "all y'all" have for your hunting rifle trigger pull weight (if it is adjustable.that is)?
(Translation for western Pennsylvanians: "What's yuns's trigger pull weight?")

Eric B.
Between 2 - 2 1/2 seems about perfect for me but some people aren't used to those kind of weights / factory triggers.

X47guy,
You mean 8 to 12 oz. on all your target rifles, right?

milo-2,
"lol" re. what?

Eric b.

My hunting rifles and match rifles have the same triggers set the same. Not sure what the issue is.

You guys all scare me! Remind me to not hunt with any of you. LOL.

Seriously though. All my hunting rifles are between 3 & 3-1/4 pounds. Maybe I'm old school, or my finder is stronger than most. LOL.

Why does a light trigger scare you? It doesn't slam fire. It inly fires when you take the safety off and pull the trigger.

My hunting rifles and match rifles have the same triggers set the same. Not sure what the issue is.

Why does a light trigger scare you? It doesn't slam fire. It inly fires when you take the safety off and pull the trigger.

A light trigger doesn't scare me as much as the person using it. To me the lighter a trigger pull is the higher the probability of an accidental discharge. Buck fever can set it, causing poor judgement, a rushed shot, accelerated heartbeat. Any of the above can cause a hunter to accidentally discharge his gun. I'm more worried about "the other guy" than I am the actual trigger.

I will admit I am somewhat of a worry-wart. But it usually helps keep me out of trouble more than the average guy.

Exactly. The danger is - and has always been - the driver behind the rig. If he/she is not in control of their emotions, trigger pull weight is meaningless. Just look at all the vids available on line that show accidental discharges of double-action pistols, which typically have more than 3.5 lbs of trigger pull weight even after the first shot.

I liked the idea of a set trigger and installed one in a flintlock I built. I have found I only use it for sighting in and the gun pointed downrange before I cock the hammer. My season to hunt with this firearm is usually cold and I find that I cannot feel the trigger well enough when it is set to accomplish safe and productive shooting. As it would go, I just acquired a 1910 custom Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle with a single set trigger. The main trigger is two stage and I don't like that much. But if you push to trigger forward it functions as a "set trigger". It is extremely light and I hope to be able to adjust the pull of the trigger on "set" to a greater trigger weight. For the hunting I do, I prefer 2.5 lbs or more.
Fun or Safety first? If you aren't safe, the fun disappears very quickly!

Just reading some of the replies kinda gets me to thinking,would I rather walk in front of a fellow hunter with a trigger pull of 1.5# or less,or a hunter with a 2.5 to 3.5(# trigger? Walking thru brush or high grass, could just be me but, I've always been a safety first hunter. " Anything mechanical can always fail ".( Henry Ford )

You are right to be safe

It is always best if you are hunting with someone else to empty the chamber. no matter how safe you are something can happen, so if you are empty the worst thing that happens will not be fatal.

Same rule goes for riding in a vehicle, all guns must be unloaded especially if there are more than one of you. You always have enough time to chamber a round, but there is never to much time to prevent shooting someone else.

You can never be to safe, but it is easy to be dangerous.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.