good time for PD in the dakota's?

britz

A couple buddies and myself are starting to plan a trip to do a little doggin. I was origionally thinking some time in september, but I am looking for advice on weather or not this is a good idea to go this late...

thanks, Mark

apparently there is no good time to go hunting in the dakota's... LOL

any input from those who have hunted late summer would be appreciated.

thanks again

Well you will shoot the most while the pups are young and dumb. That said my uncle went out 2 weeks ago and said the pups aren't out yet. About the middle of June is when most of the pups are running around.

Thanks... I am starting to think I should make my fall trip for 2012 into a early summer trip for 2013...

A couple buddies and myself are starting to plan a trip to do a little doggin. I was origionally thinking some time in september, but I am looking for advice on weather or not this is a good idea to go this late...

thanks, Mark

I've been going every year for the last 20 years.

I like early June. the pups are out. The weather is nice. There has not yet been a lot of hunting pressure.

I have been in July - 107 degrees - miserable.

KG

We are headed out there this summer. Never PD hunted before but have hunted for 50 years. (I started petty young)LOL
Anyway how is this done? Do you have to have an outfitter to hunt the critters?? Are there state lands to hunt? How do you find the towns??

thanks guys

We (my wife and I) are headed west through the the southern route. We will be goin through Kansas, Colorado, Utah to the west cost. Then headed north to Washington. On the way back we will be in Iowa, Wyoming, the Dakoda's and into Idaho then home. We have the trip planned but are loose with the particulars. We have no problem deviating along the way. We will be pulling a fifth wheel camper, so we have a place to stay. We should be on the road about the middle of June. We thought the southern route may be better because of the possibilities of snow in the passes in Wyoming and Idaho. I won't have a lot of time maybe a day or so here and there along the way.

This isn't the main reason for the trip but something I wanted to do for a while and since we will be in the area I want to try it.

Thumbs,

I'd suggest Wyoming as a good place to start. I say that because you aren't required to buy a hunting license there and you should be able to find some decent areas to shoot. Perhaps it's just a stroke of luck, but I've found it easier to find (free) places to shoot in Wyoming than other states.

If you know the route you're planning to take through Wyoming, you can look for co-ops or feed stores in the smaller towns. They usually have some suggestions to get you started. I've also called local chambers of commerce, because some of them have lists of land owners who allow hunting/shooting.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Thumbs,

I'd suggest Wyoming as a good place to start. I say that because you aren't required to buy a hunting license there and you should be able to find some decent areas to shoot. Perhaps it's just a stroke of luck, but I've found it easier to find (free) places to shoot in Wyoming than other states.

If you know the route you're planning to take through Wyoming, you can look for co-ops or feed stores in the smaller towns. They usually have some suggestions to get you started. I've also called local chambers of commerce, because some of them have lists of land owners who allow hunting/shooting.

Hey thanks for the help. Perfect. That I can do. I can't spend a lot of time but a day or two here and there would be great. I'll check out the chambers of commerce also.

thanks

My pleasure. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

Be careful chasing prairie dogs, though. It's highly addictive!

Thumbs,

Montana as well, fact is most farmers and ranchers will almost take you by the hand and point em out to you:cool:

Montana as well, fact is most farmers and ranchers will almost take you by the hand and point em out to you:cool:

I guess the thing is gettin your foot in the door. I guess askin around at the co ops or shops is a good start. It's gettin the contacts that is the problem.

I guess the thing is gettin your foot in the door. I guess askin around at the co ops or shops is a good start. It's gettin the contacts that is the problem.

I'd suggest making some phone calls ahead of time to help get the process started. Being there in person is more effective, but it chews up valuable time that could be spent shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts