Good "Tent Testing Weather" today

Litehiker

With steady 30 mph. winds and highest gusts to 65 mph. here in the 'Vegas valley today it is a good day to test tents for wind-worthiness.

I've found that most backpacking tents can withstand a lot of wind IF they have proper guying of the fly and stake loops sewn to the hem of the fly so it can be nailed down to avoid damaging flapping.
TRICK: if you need to guy the fly in a place where there is no guy point sewn on use a rounded quarter size pebble, ball of paper, etc. beneath the fly at the guy point and tie it off with the guy line. Loosen the fly to wrap under the stone and then re-tighten and guy out.
This should spread out the stress enough to prevent tearing the fly - unless you have apocalyptic winds, that is.

I recommend you take the time to test your tent in high winds at home, before it is shredded in the mountains. And no, Wally Mart tents won't cut it.

Also flapping along with wind noise can keep you awake so take yer foam ear plugs Bucky. (Good defense against snorers too.;o)

Eric B.

Mike,
I have a Tarptent Moment DW solo tent with the optional crossing pole shortened a bit and run under the fly for better support.

I also have a two person Tarptent Scarp 2, again, modified with both X-ing poles under the fly for the same reason. Much better fly support for high winds and wet snow load.

You can see photos of these tents at Backpacking light. The Moment DW photos are in the GEAR forum in the "Tarptent Thread" and the Scarp 2 photos are in the WINTER HIKING forum in a "Winterizing my Scarp 2" thread.

UPDATE: Yesterday's winds were officially 40 mph. steady winds with gusts to 60 mph.
I've tested both tents in worse weather and they were fine, no pole deformity and barley any flapping B/C the fly hem was held down with 4 stakes in fly hem stake loops. These fly hem stake loops are vital in controlling flapping in high winds in any tent.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.