Good substitute for Meindl Boots?

I see Cabelas no longer carries Meindl boots; I love mine and want to get another pair. Due to recent ankle surgery and a T/N joint fusion, I would like a high top boot with a stiff sole and waterproofing. 400 gram insulation would be a plus. What do you guys recommend? I was looking at Kenetrek, but got turned off by the bad reviews (waterproofing sucks, they fall apart, etc.).

What do you guys who pound the backcountry recommend?
I use crispi boots. Two years ago I had a broken leg with a plate and pins along with surgery on my ankle. I like the crispis better than any other boots I've tried.

I now use Crispi (Nevada) and Lowa's (Tibet GTX). Similar feel/fit to the Meindl's (to me).
I have problems with a neuroma in my left foot. Gave up 2 pairs of Danners for the Crispi Nevada. Break in was 2 days walking around in the house and outside in the yard. Hunted Javelinas in some ugly rocky country earlier this year. No problem with the neuroma. These are most comfortable boots have ever worn.

I have also been a MeindI fan for a long time and had several pair. I have been using Zamberlan for several years now and not one complaint with them at all.
Likewise. I went through a couple of pairs of Cabela's Meindl boots and now have a couple of pairs of Zamberlan. Pretty comparable.

i have/like kenetrec, no complaints, one older pair has been resoled/rebuilt by them and other pair about to be sent back after several years use. they have been been with me on 3 continents, an island, and an isthmus, from arid desert to jungle. no problems

I just got some lowa tibets last year most comfy boot ive even been in. No blisters and no break in time besides wearing them around the house for a couple days. 4 days in the back country on foot is some rugged terrain not one blister. Boots took a beating but i was surprised by the comfort and durability

I've been using Zamberlans for years, I have the Baltoro lites now, had the Lynx before. Always best to check on fit for you though. I've looked at the Schnee's boots as well, they are nice boots too, I have a hard time finding a good boot for me that my heel won't slip in. There are so many good boots out there from Kenetrek, Crispi, Zamberlan, Schness, Whites... the list can go on and on. You just have to find a boot that works for you and is stable especially with foot and ankle issues. Personally I need to find a lighter more flexible boot for early season hunts and dryer/nicer hunts. I'm thinking about trying the new Salomon Cross Hike since I love the Speed Cross that I wear everyday. Good luck in your search, it can be a tough one.

Are your size 9's E or D width.

The boots only indicate size 9. They are not a narrow boot.

MEINDL - 1.jpg

As you can see - they have zero wear on the soles.

MEINDL - 3.jpg

Recent Posts