good source(s) to learn from

rocknwell

This may or may not belong in this forum category, but I figure gunsmiths would have the best knowledge in regards to my question. I love shooting. I'm a decent shooter. But i'd like to know the names of all the parts, how each part operates, and why it operates the way it was designed to. I know basic concepts and operation, but I don't want to be an ignorant gun enthusiast. I want to be knowledgeable. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction in being able to educate myself so I can have a decently educated gun conversation with people who know what they are talking about as well being able to troubleshoot issues i may have instead of telling a gunsmith "uh duh duh...its not shooting straight"? Thanks for your time!

Micah

This may or may not belong in this forum category, but I figure gunsmiths would have the best knowledge in regards to my question. I love shooting. I'm a decent shooter. But i'd like to know the names of all the parts, how each part operates, and why it operates the way it was designed to. I know basic concepts and operation, but I don't want to be an ignorant gun enthusiast. I want to be knowledgeable. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction in being able to educate myself so I can have a decently educated gun conversation with people who know what they are talking about as well being able to troubleshoot issues i may have instead of telling a gunsmith "uh duh duh...its not shooting straight"? Thanks for your time!

Micah

That's a very tall order IMHO, however, there are guys here that give you a full blown thesis ... and then some. :rolleyes:

Knowing ALL does not happen overnight, I think you answered your own question ... take the time and learn from people who knows what they are talking about. :D

If you break it down in smaller increments, that is more manageable, and post your specific questions here, I'm sure others are always willing and able to lend a hand.

Not exactly what your looking for but let me start with this video from Savage Arms

Good luck!

you can get something like the AGI armor videos they give a basic knowledge and break down on what ever gun they have in that video it would be good for people with limited knowledge to have a better understanding

Thanks guys. I know it's a tall order, but the jist of my long-winded post was asking for references to educate myself with. i'll start with the 2 things you guys provided. Thanks!

Gunsmithing is like music, engineering, machining, etc. You can keep learning for ever.

How to learn can have to do with your learning style.

Learning styles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people learn in a class room, some from a book, some by doing it, some by watching it, some by listening, etc.

20 years ago I started going to pawn shops and dickering them down on their prices for broken guns.
Then I would take the gun apart, clean it, oil, it and decide what spare parts to buy from Numerich gun parts corp.
Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts
When the gun was fixed, i would sell it on consignment at another pawn shop.

I am not saying that is fastest way to learn, but it was all fun and paid me $1/hour.

I do not think gunsmithing is a good way to make money.
There are some incredibly good gunsmiths that if they had called themselves engineers, would have made 4 or 5 times as much money.
There are some real crooked gunsmiths that make good money, but they would have made 10X as much if they called themselves investment counselors.

haha that sounds like a great way to learn how it all works. I'm definitely a hands on learner. someone just telling me what to do, or showing me, isn't going to help much if I can't do it. I'm not really looking to be a gunsmith, but just knowing what's going on would help me appreciate things more and probably be that much safer. Plus, if i need to do something that I can do at home that doesn't require a gunsmith, then that would be highly beneficial to myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.