Good Rifle Smith

I would like a trigger job, muzzle brake installation (quality job). Perhaps glass bed, set rifle back a turn. That sort of thing.

Any competant smith can do these chores easily. In fact there are several top quality smiths right here on LRH that can easily do this for you.

Just depends on if you want to use a local smith or ship the rifle out. To be honest most of my customers are out of state.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

BH...

That list is only the famous ones... or well known ones... and I know one of them is VERY expensive... a few others are pretty high.... I can think of several as good if not better that never made that list.....

If a guy asks on this board I feel we keep in "on board" there are few very competant smiths right here....

just my .02 could be owrth a $1.50 or nothing all depends on how you look at it....

Geez I don't think the guy wants a custom BR rifle with a trigger at 6oz. ...just bring it to a local gun shop with good rep or like a gander mountain etc. I'd expect to pay approx $40-50. Bedding would help as well. But just start out with the trigger job and see how it shoots.

I have to agree with Ric and Trader338. I think there are some great smiths that are not mentioned. I also think that some smiths with the brand-name charge way more than others. My smith, although retired now (see note at bottom), charged me very fair prices and does amazing work. I would have paid more than double if I went to a name guy. In Fact I would have paid nearly double the price of my full custom 338 Lapua for a gun built on a trued remington action if I went the brand name. I also agree that if a guy asks on this board we should keep it on this board whenever possible. However, I will note that there a over 3000 members on this board and before someone just sends a member their rifle and $$$ they should ask others on the board for references, recommendations, and opinions.

On another note, in this particular case Trader 338 is right. The guy just needs basic gunsmithing, go to Gander Mountain!

Note: Fortunately for me "retired" in the gunsmith world only means thay don't take new customers! YEEEHAAA!

All Good advice. Trader338, I like what you had to say. Perhaps a simple trigger job is a good way to start.

I will be shooting between 200-300 yds. most of the time. It will be rare that I shoot farther (as the the 500 yd ia about 50 miles from my house).

There is a local competent smith' here in town. Always over-booked though. For a bunch of work, I'll wait for 6-8 weeks. I won't waith that long for a trigger job.

I guess, I'm trying to avoid getting the rifle, and then saying: it really needs this, now this and this. And end up waiting a long time and spending a bunch in shipping. Perhaps I am thinking too hard about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Maybe I should get the rifle and a shilen trigger (I've heard they're easy to install) and just shoot.

Is this a good idea or overkill for a 200-300 yd. target rifle?:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/product57.html

More advice please. You guys have been great!

Excuuuse me.

Some guys need to get some experience off this board. The list I recommended has been carefully vetted to insure reasonable prices, quality work and stated delivery times. Second, there is a couple there that been building LR guns before 50% on this board could spell it. they cover the gamut of all types of guns to include, BR (short & LR) not to mention LR hunting guns, not just 6mmbr guns with 2 oz triggers as incorrectly stated. Is it the "all inclusive and only smiths"? Of course not, but reasonable place to start and let someone read about some of the better ones, compare prices etc. If they are asking here, reasonable to assume they need some of those type questions answered.

As for going to Gander Mountain. Go for it, the local one here charges double what my smith (on the recommended list) does for cryo, over $100 more for rebarreling (plus no mention of truing the rcvr face, and almost 25% more for glass bedding. Buddy of mine, just bought a new SW pistol for $256 less than the local GM price. Yep, makes me want to run down or ship a gun off to GM. Boy thats a reputable cost effective place to recommend.

Why in the world would a really competant smith be working for GM anyway?

As for smiths on this board, yes some are good, but not all, and some I would not send anything to. For example we had one smith selling $150-180 muzzle brakes for $350 because he said that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread AND he did it on this site.

We have had smiths here every day saying, "Send me everything, I can do it". Why isn't he is his shop doing it then? Others are the quiet professionals. So do not get the idea I am against all smiths here.

Of course that is just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

However, I paid a lot over the years to learn that you get what you pay for, but it is normally cheaper in the long run to get known quality at a fair price the first time.

As for me only recommending smiths on this site, I do not think so. You recommend who you want, and I will recommend who I want. I will be more than happy to justify the person I recommend. Just hope you can say that too.

BH

Re:Trigger work

If all you want to start with is a trigger job, I'd just send the trigger to Neil Jones. He will rework the trigger and set the pull weight to any weight that you desire (above 16oz.).

I had 2 triggers done and am very happy. The total cost is $50 including the return shipping.

However, its the dead time of the year and I'd send the rifle out for a bedding job and you can have the trigger redone at the same time. Look for someone who has < 2 month turn around time and you should be all set for working up loads in much warmer weather.

In all likelihood, doing an action blue print and custom barrel job would be a waste of money on a 200-300yd biggame rifle. A good bedding job could make a big improvement in accuracy and is normally well worth the time and money. Any properly bedded factory rifle should be able to shoot groups of 2.5"-4" at 300yards providing that you do your part.

VH

Re:Trigger work

I don't have significant gunsmith work done at gander mountain. But, for basic stuff you don't need a master gunsmith.

Bountyhunter I noted in my previous post that there are over 3000 members on this site and caution should prevail. I agree that guys begging for work should be approached with caution.

BUT, it is because of this site that I would use Chris Mathews if undertaking a new project. Many long time members speak highly of him including LB and DK.

I love the work my gunsmith does. His name is Dale Storey from Casper Wyoming. But if I didn't know of either Dale or Chris and were asking for opinions on this site and the two names came up, I'd have to go with Chris because of solid recommendations. Does that mean he's better or that Dale is no good? Of course not. What it means is that references are crucial when choosing a gunsmith or any professional for that matter when the price tag is significant. Opinions from respected members are our version of Ebays feedback.

I have to agree, some of the guys hawking smith work or custom guns on this site make my skin crawl and I smell the bulls*#t over the internet.

Lastly I owe you an apology because I never looked at YOUR list but rather assumed it was the big name big bucks guys before I shot my mouth off. We all know when you assume you make an *** of U and ME!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts