Good Rebarrel Candidate?

Nope. Those marks in the photo are from the OEM. Cleaning will not fix it. You just deal with it. Will it or will it not shoot? Look at the photo in post 7. That is a high quality barrel.

That was my bad. I changed that before you replied after I read through the rest of the thread and saw the pics, hence the tag, since you can't do a delete. you're #12 post is agreed with.

[QUOTE="birdiemc, post: 1784674, member: 29632"
Of course I dont know how much it would cost to have it cutoff and recrown, so that factors in.[/QUOTE]

My smith charged me $65 to cut and re-crown a barrel.

Looks like my Interarms Mark X 270 Win from 1976. Classic hammer forged barrel showing tooling marks after the forging process. Mine is still shooting acceptably well for hunting deer and elk within 300 yards (but not with all bullets, especially mono copper). It will eventually get a new barrel, but for now it is good enough as I can still get close enough hunting stalking.

Looks "bad" but it's shooting sub MOA and its a factory rifle so is it actually "bad"? I almost can guarantee CZ will say it shoots to their standards so it won't be worth talking to them about it.

Many years ago I got a great deal on a rifle because it had a bulge at the muzzle from dragging it in the snow and then firing it at a deer. He didn't get the deer. A gunsmith friend put a throat reamer down the muzzle for an inch and a half and got rid of the bulge but I lost some velocity, (it had a front sight I didn't want to lose). It shot well though and I took lots of game with it. Nowadays you can get that last couple of inches made into a muzzle brake but it would really bark on a short barrel. Sounds to me like the best choice is to keep it as it is - unless you are just looking for a change.

If these chatter marks are at the muzzle end this is probably happened. the factory gets barrel stock that has been roughly profiled to their specs. if the barrel Manufacturer had a problem with one barrel, and mis-cut the same end twice instead of both ends off the prescribed 1" to 2" where the cutter is not supported. You will get a chattered bore like you see in the first picture. I have seen this in factory barrels from Kimber, Weatherby, Howa, Remington, and once from Winchester. It's easy to do and it gives quality control guys fits. Some slip through, I think this is what happened. I would cut the offending 2" off the muzzle if that is where it is and recrown. it should shoot much better.

I would rather rebarrel it to a 26" barrel.A 22" 300 Win Mag would not be something I'd like.I don't even like a 22" barrel on a 30-06,I know I'd hate it on a 300.That case burns 70-80grs of powder.It would have a tremendous muzzle jump,with a lot of flash.I also think it would be very inefficient for that amount of powder and really probably not much better than one of my 30-06's.

It is the last two inches near the muzzle.It already has a 24" barrel so I really don't want it shorter.I think I'll send a note to CZ warranty to see what they say.I mean really a barrel with that many tool marks should never pass.This is on a CZ HA 550 HUNTER.If I keep my loads on the milder side I can get some groups down to 3/4" or so but if I try to push it They tend to open up.Longer bullets seem to do better too.View attachment 164291

If you do contact CZ warranty, please let us know what happens.

I will.I did contact them.I sent this rifle back when it was new.It had feeding issues that was marking the brass and the stock had bad finish.They were real good about it.They sent me a prepaid shipping label.They fixed the feed issue and replaced the stock.Had I'd known the condition of the barrel,I'm sure they would have replaced that too.Sounds to me like a rookie smith must have done the original assembly. I didn't realize it had a five year warranty.I bought it in 2013 so it's beyond that by a bit.I'm going to argue their sentence.". By maintaining quality control standards unheard of in the industry, the UHR delivers a level of accuracy formerly only available from high-end custom rifle gunsmiths." I don't think a high end custom rifle gunsmith would send a rifle out the door with a barrel like this.I expect more from a $1200 rifle.

I will.I did contact them.I sent this rifle back when it was new.It had feeding issues that was marking the brass and the stock had bad finish.They were real good about it.They sent me a prepaid shipping label.They fixed the feed issue and replaced the stock.Had I'd known the condition of the barrel,I'm sure they would have replaced that too.Sounds to me like a rookie smith must have done the original assembly. I didn't realize it had a five year warranty.I bought it in 2013 so it's beyond that by a bit.I'm going to argue their sentence.". By maintaining quality control standards unheard of in the industry, the UHR delivers a level of accuracy formerly only available from high-end custom rifle gunsmiths." I don't think a high end custom rifle gunsmith would send a rifle out the door with a barrel like this.I expect more from a $1200 rifle.

Personally, I think they should replace the barrel.

This is a 7mm Rem Mag barrel from A Savage. It would only shoot 5-7 rounds before it was so coppered up that it wouldn't shoot accurately any more. Replaced it with a Shilen and had no more problems. I've had other barrels that look as bad,but would continue to shoot accurately, so appearance does not mean a barrel is no good.

7 Mag Barrel 1.jpg

This is a 7mm Rem Mag barrel from A Savage. It would only shoot 5-7 rounds before it was so coppered up that it wouldn't shoot accurately any more. Replaced it with a Shilen and had no more problems. I've had other barrels that look as bad,but would continue to shoot accurately, so appearance does not mean a barrel is no good.

View attachment 164590
That's ugly.It's really hard to see the detail looking straight down the bore though.I have one of those ten dollar bore scopes and never noticed my issue.The mirror for side views sucked and you couldn't see crap.Here is a picture from it.Looking straight down the barrel it would cast shadows in rings.I'm impressed with the detail I can see with the Teslong.Here is another pic I took on another rifle
WIN_20191222_14_05_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170302_14_02_11_Pro.jpg

View attachment 164590
cz 550 bore 2.jpg
cz 550 bore.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.