good range finder

dmax1800

I've done some research on laser range finders. Seems like most people prefer Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. I want one that I can range an elk or deer at 600 yards. I probably won't shoot that far, but I don't want something that quits at 400 yards on an animal. I don't know if I need one that automatically adjusts for inclination or declination.
Which one of these 3 is the better choice? Is there another one that you would recommend???

Thanks.

Do some more research on the subject on this site. Search the names of each unit in the box at the upper right for details on these units. Or just buy the Leica CRF in 1200 or 1600 either will do what you ask and are my choice of the 3 you mentioned for multiple reasons.

Jeff

Just purchased a Leica 1600B and have been fooling with it the last few days. So far so good. Wanted a range finder that would have a narrow beam divergence so I could range down through the timber and get a accurate reading. I have a few places here on the ranch where I could test that and it passed no problem. It is quick in a reading return out to a 1000 yards. Have not tried farther.

The unit is quite small and it is not easy to hold still so a rest will probably be needed over 800 yards to be consistent. It has a ballistic program built in but will fool with that later. I think this is going to be a really good tool for me. Will recommend it so far.

Do some more research on the subject on this site. Search the names of each unit in the box at the upper right for details on these units. Or just buy the Leica CRF in 1200 or 1600 either will do what you ask and are my choice of the 3 you mentioned for multiple reasons.

Jeff

+1 ... and there's a 1200 for sale in optics classified ads section for $450 now.

I've done some research on laser range finders. Seems like most people prefer Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. I want one that I can range an elk or deer at 600 yards. I probably won't shoot that far, but I don't want something that quits at 400 yards on an animal. I don't know if I need one that automatically adjusts for inclination or declination.
Which one of these 3 is the better choice? Is there another one that you would recommend???

Thanks.

I say BUY WHAT YOU NEED! I bought a Leupold thats good for 700 yards. Why? Because thats about 50% MORE distance than anything I can shoot at here!

If I lived out west...and shot rifles capable of dropping varmint Orcas at 2 miles...or at least some would have you belive that.....Id definately have something with MUCH MORE distance capability.

Dont be buffaloed into something costing $1500 or more when something that costs $450 might do all you need and more.!

I say BUY WHAT YOU NEED! I bought a Leupold thats good for 700 yards. Why? Because thats about 50% MORE distance than anything I can shoot at here!

I grew up in Cincy and shot at Miami Rifle and Pistol clubs 600 yard range often, and we would shoot ground hogs in bean fields in Clermont and Brown county at 600 and beyond. Not tryin to be a smart *** just sayin you can shoot long range all around Cincy.

Rob

I hear good things about the Vortex 1000 rangefinder. They're under $400 new.

Leica makes excellent stuff.

I wish NF would make a rangefinder.

I grew up in Cincy and shot at Miami Rifle and Pistol clubs 600 yard range often, and we would shoot ground hogs in bean fields in Clermont and Brown county at 600 and beyond. Not tryin to be a smart *** just sayin you can shoot long range all around Cincy.

Rob

Same gun club I belong to....:). And I can remember those days too. Now what property the state and county doesnt own in those counties.....farmers have sold off to LARGE farm concerns and they dont even want you walking across their fields...let alone carry and use a gun.

I happened to be in the lumber yard about a month ago right next to one of 2 brothers that farm one of the big ones....and spoke to him and asked if they farmed the 9 thousand acres Id heard about.....he looked at me and laughed and said that if 2013 was as good as 2012 had been....they would have 27,000 acres they'd be planting on!

One large farm just down the road from me sold 2 years ago....and was broken up into 5 acre chunks and sold for houses. $5000 an acre...5 acres min. Personally...I wouldnt give 25K for the whole dammed place

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.