Good public land Speed Goat areas

grumpyBD

Hi there fellers, Hunting season (gun) is winding down next weekend and of course I'm already thinking of next season. I'm thinking of going back west while I can still enjoy it. Any ideas of where to go? I'll be driving out, making it a "do it yourself" trip. Looking mostly for over the counter licences and good numbers of antelope. I'm not concerned with B&C trophies. Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as I know and I don't know much, there is no such thing as over the counter antelope licenses for bucks. Wyoming has over the counter doe/fawn permits for about $30 and you can get up to four of them in some areas.

In the western states with antelope you can go up on the BLM site and download a public lands map. You can get maps from "publiclands.org"

I also use the Univ of Texas map library

online maps

You will need to also download maps from the state fish and game agency on units and then download the draw success tables. For Wyoming in the units with lots of federal lands there is only about a one in three chance of drawing.

Like I say, I don't know much about it but the information will get you started.

Draw odds are decent in MT also. Lots of public land and block management opportunities. Look up the MT regs online. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks guys, I don't really care if it's buck or doe, just trying to enjoy the hunt. May even include some varmints in the mix! Thanks again.

You might look at Keyhole state park there in the Black Hills and then hunt the National Grasslands. I spent one night at the State park and really enjoyed it. Very nice lake and nice campsites. Deserted place with no people and I had it to myself. There seems to be a nearly hundred percent chance of drawing a buck permit. I don't know much about the grasslands but it might be "interesting". I don't know how the hunting is. Don't know about prairie dogs there.

I'll post a few pictures that I took at the Keyhole state park.

Here are some pictures taken at Keyhole State Park in Wyoming

First picture is an antelope doe and fawn.

Second picture is a deer doe and fawn on the far side of the lake getting a drink.

Third picture is a stupid bunny that lived in the culvert.

Last picture is a white pelican swimming in the lake and a flock of wild turkeys getting a drink. They are the black dots to the left of the pelican and right below the big boulder.

I have a picture of a clear blue sky where I tried to take a picture of a flying bald eagle but missed. I assume you have seen clear blue sky before in your life so I didn't post it.

P1010013.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010020-1.jpg

There is a lot of private land around Keyhole according to the map. I was suggesting camping there and day tripping to the Grasslands for hunting purposes. I like water and being around water so I found it a nice place.

Most people are very reluctant to share hunting place information because if you don't kill anything then it is their fault so to speak.

Thanks, Bob. I understand folks not wanting to suggest an area, but for those of us that have never been there, any help is invaluable.
Which areas have you hunted in the past?

Once again I am humbled by the generosity of the members, who frequent this site. Thank you. It makes me proud to be a member and an American. May the New Year bring good fortune to You and Your families!

Triggernosis, Hi, No I haven't made any plans yet. I am kind of a scout for my group. None of them have ever been west of PA before, so I'm the "experienced" one, tasked with setting up this trip. As I'm planning this I'll keep you abreast if you like.

Triggernosis

You have to go and edit your profile and put your email in there. People cannot contact you by any other means on this forum.

I have a few documents I could send you to help you out.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.