Good press for noob

I do apologize if I'm intruding but what do you think about the MEC Marksmanship? It is fairly cheap and could potentially improve the results of a beginner because it allows the case to self align with the die. It works on the same principle as the co-ax its just cheaper.

Rock Chucker Supreme and ChargeMaster are a great start. Add a Case Prep Center and a good Case Trimmer and you are well on your way. Sometimes the Kits are on sale and you'll get them for not much more than the Press itself. I don't know about other poster's experiences but my Rock Chucker accepts dies from RCBS, Redding (my preference) and Hornady. Never had a problem. Warning: Crafting ones own ammunition can be/is extremely addicting. This hobby WILL cost you some $ in the future as you expand your knowledge, but the rewards are numerous. There is nothing like harvesting an animal or shooting tinier groups on target than you thought that you or your firearm were capable of with ammo made with your own hands. Get a good manual and read it. There are many comprehensive texts on Reloading/Crafting Ammo and now everything that there is to learn is on YouTube. This isn't alchemy or magic and isn't hard if you go slow and focus. You're gonna have a lot of fun.

After reading page one of the responses I am going to give you what I have learned throughout 40 years of watching and reloading. I started off with a C&H single stage (my father's) at age 8, helping him decap and size cases. For hunting and few cartridges this is great. no complaints. I moved to a Dillon 450 and it was faster, it had the strength and reliability of an "O" press. up-graded the RL-450 to an RL-550 and was even more happy. In 2008 I tried my friends Dillon 650 and absolutely hated it. Then I tried my friends Redding Turret press and was marginally happy with it. I also tried out just about everything from RCBS, Hornady, and Lee had to offer and pretty much hated everything they had to offer. This is just me. I have friends that have used my Dillons and either hated them or loved them. I have a Dillon 1050 and love it but it is and was always dedicated to 45 ACP my IDPA/IPSC loads. I am very happy with my Dillons. I have 2-550's and one 1050. My best advice is use (test out) as many presses as you can before making a decision. Whatever you are comfortable with, use that and do not let anyone else influence you on your decision.. You will never be happy with someone else's favorite reloader. Later Tatters.

I agree 10000 percent on the rcbs rock checker you can't go wrong . I have and like the Lyman powder dispenser, and a another Lyman scale set up with a trickier. For charging cases. One thing to watch for with electronic scales is they will get a static drift to them. Or at least all the ones I've played with has . I always rezero after every fourth or fifth charge. That's just me being picky and takes away any variation. As for a case trimmer I'd recommend the Redding case trimming lathe . It's a touch slow but squares everything up nicely.

One thing I found that reduced static was to wipe the powder chamber with a dryer sheet works very well. Only have to do it once twice a year. The whole machine works to.
I use old ones out of the dryer.

I also use an RCBS chargemaster and recently switched to the lite model. Descent scale used in tandem with high quality scale to trickle up to charge weight and it's fast. That is my dedicated charging table with lite then to A&D fx120i with dandy trickler.
136A04EB-FDE3-47FE-A3A2-6F771A44127C.jpeg

One thing I found that reduced static was to wipe the powder chamber with a dryer sheet works very well. Only have to do it once twice a year. The whole machine works to.
I use old ones out of the dryer.

I believe the floor covering in my reloading room may be the biggest element of static charge . I've wiped down with dryer sheets kept a dryer sheet fold up laying on the unit and still after every six or so it will drift enough that it bothers me. If it's not to the exact charge it gets dumped and rezeroed. I'd rather be everything exactly the same every time then to be off a 1/10 of a grain!

I'll save you from watching the video. His conclusion? Buy a Rock Chucker Supreme or spend 4 times as much on a German Press.

I believe the floor covering in my reloading room may be the biggest element of static charge . I've wiped down with dryer sheets kept a dryer sheet fold up laying on the unit and still after every six or so it will drift enough that it bothers me. If it's not to the exact charge it gets dumped and rezeroed. I'd rather be everything exactly the same every time then to be off a 1/10 of a grain!
Do you have carpeting? Might try a rubber mat the size of you loading bench to cut down on static. As you walk on carpet you can build up static. I bought a Ruger rubber mat and placed it where I reload but I don't have carpeting.

Do you have carpeting? Might try a rubber mat the size of you loading bench to cut down on static. As you walk on carpet you can build up static. I bought a Ruger rubber mat and placed it where I reload but I don't have carpeting.
Yeah it like a very short knap

I am going to save you a lot of time and money. You will get a lot of answers to your question and it has been ask about 100 times before you. My advice is free I won't even claim it is worth two cents.
Guys will go on and on about their choice of press for whatever reason. Turrets are faster than single stages and progressives are faster than turrets and so on and so on. So here is my advice buy a RCBS Rock Chucker and be done with it. No one will claim that they have a better press just more expensive or faster or whatever but not better.

I agree 100%!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.