Good Pistol Smith’s

UPS & FedEx require 2nd day or faster. USPS will accept dealer to dealer but not from an invidual. Default for distributors is UPS or FedEx 2nd day. Nothing HAS to go overnight.

What you say is what I read on discussion forums but anytime I've shipped a handgun, (4 or 5 times), I've been required to ship overnight. Would you happen to know where the UPS and FedEx regulations say 2 day is required?

To answer the OP, Cylinder & Slide, Fremont, NE
The fix will be right, they'll talk honestly about your options, you won't wonder what to expect. Handguns exclusively since, like, Moses...
Thanks, I'm going to try some new mags in the glocks today but I will still need to send the ruger in.

The Glocks are a 23&27 they are both owned a friend of mine. He bought them used, the 27 appears to be all stock and the 23 has an after market slide. That's say TS on it if I remember correctly. Maybe tactical solutions? Both fire one round then Jam. He's tried multiple types of ammo and different mags. We ordered some new mags after looking up the correct ones for the 23& 27 hoping that fixes it. I remember the serial number of the main mags he was using was 1636-03.
The Ruger is all stock.
I wrote the following in a previous reply without reading the above: "I don't know about the Ruger, however 99% of the time with Glocks it's the magazine and not the gun itself. If you have someone with an extra magazine might want to try giving that a try. I read one reply where someone wrote that the Glock factory will either rebuild or repair your Glock, that's something I would also try. I've carried Glocks and shot Glocks for 30+ years and was an armorer for a small PD for many years, most all of the problems were with the magazines, or.....they were gummed up and dirty."

After reading your second reply, I certainly would send these guns to a reputable gunsmith. Both Glock models that you have referenced are reliable, trouble free guns, at least from my experience. I have a Glock 27 that I bought new in 1990, carried daily for 10+ years, shot a lot of ammo through it, "never" an issue whatsoever. Someone has been inside of these Glocks, anything could be causing the problem. Improperly fit barrels, trigger springs, recoil springs, assembled incorrectly, a long list of stuff could be causing your problem....... As for shipping firearms to a company to have work done on them, I ship UPS and get my guns back UPS and....never any issues whatsoever. My experience has been that you do not need an FFL involved if you already own the firearm and are sending it to be repaired. I have a local post master who will not ship a firearm unless there's an FFL license inside, that's "his" policy, and........possibly be US postal service policy. I always ship UPS for two reasons, (1) no BS involved with shipping, (2) I am not getting ripped off paying "Priority" shipping and the package takes two to three weeks to get there USPS.

And one more note. If you are reloading or using reloaded ammunition and it has a low power factor, a Glock may not eject the first round fired and the second from the mag then jams against the fired case. I had tried to create some 'target' loads for my Glock and discovered that problem.. Full loads, no problem. Before someone jumps in, 1. I know the warranty is waived but my Glock is waaay past warranty. 2. And I also have a third party barrel for shooting lead projectiles when I don't want to use jacketed projectiles.
FWIW: Limp wristing is a major problem with the Glock. I have been a range master and a trainer and have seen the limp wrist issue many more times than once.

On the subject of shipping handguns I have my FFL ship them for me, usually $30-35 without insurance, much cheaper than the other options available to non-dealers usually.

I'm not sure what amount of DIY you are comfortable with but before I would spend the money to send to a gunsmith I would put in new factory or Wolff recoil springs, maybe hammer/striker spring as well (Google is your friend for how). And a brand new factory or Mec-gar magazine. Springs don't always age well and they are cheap. As stated by others, also make sure very clean.

I think you will have a hard time finding a big name gunsmith to do this work, most are overbooked with big dollar custom work and many won't touch repairs or small jobs. You might want to look for a local gunsmith, even at a big gun store in your area. Or contact Glock and Ruger directly if you are ok with timing and cost to ship.

JB
"I would put in new factory or Wolff recoil springs, maybe hammer/striker spring as well."
My first thought.

The Glocks are a 23&27 they are both owned a friend of mine. He bought them used, the 27 appears to be all stock and the 23 has an after market slide. That's say TS on it if I remember correctly. Maybe tactical solutions? Both fire one round then Jam. He's tried multiple types of ammo and different mags. We ordered some new mags after looking up the correct ones for the 23& 27 hoping that fixes it. I remember the serial number of the main mags he was using was 1636-03.
The Ruger is all stock.
Tell your friend to sell all three of those pistols and buy himself a SIG Sauer P226, or better yet, a P220 in 10mm. He won't be having those issues any longer, and I bet he shoots better as well.

Lol it's no skin off my back if the gun doesn't work. I cc a 1911 almost year round. The fact I struck a nerve just reinforces my point.

There's been a small a amount of issues with glocks. Especially the 2nd and 3rd gens. Ejection has been a "factory problem" for example.

Feeding is not a problem. There's literally nothing to the trigger. It is the simplest mechanism in the world. And going off in a holster is almost always the user being negligent with any pistol.

Military's and police forces around the world use these guns. Yet this forum is suppose to take the word of someone who clearly has his own bias.
I guess all those cops, agencies and special operations and the likes are all a bunch of idiots, right? :rolleyes:
At my police agency, the Houston Police Department, when you go to do your yearly qualification, if you shoot a Glock, you are required to bring your own ammo. This is because the Glocks are famous for "Glocking" the spent shells, meaning they mess up the rim of the case (loose tolerances I've been told.) rendering most brass shot from a Glock useless for reloading. Before you get your panties in a wad, I did not make that rule, and all Glocks do not do this, but apparently many Glocks do bugger up the brass. I shoot a SIG Sauer P220 10mm and it always functions perfectly. And, except when I am qualifying, I always shoot full-power handloads, and I still hit where I aim. (The qualification ammo is free.)

At my police agency, the Houston Police Department, when you go to do your yearly qualification, if you shoot a Glock, you are required to bring your own ammo. This is because the Glocks are famous for "Glocking" the spent shells, meaning they mess up the rim of the case (loose tolerances I've been told.) rendering most brass shot from a Glock useless for reloading. Before you get your panties in a wad, I did not make that rule, and all Glocks do not do this, but apparently many Glocks do bugger up the brass. I shoot a SIG Sauer P220 10mm and it always functions perfectly. And, except when I am qualifying, I always shoot full-power handloads, and I still hit where I aim. (The qualification ammo is free.)

Why would Houston PD care what the fired brass looks like?

I do like the P226 and really liked my P320 before it was stolen.
The new mags fixed both of the glocks, they run fine now. Still need to send the ruger in though. I appreciate the suggestions so far.

I do like the P226 and really liked my P320 before it was stolen.
The new mags fixed both of the glocks, they run fine now. Still need to send the ruger in though. I appreciate the suggestions so far.
I also have the SIG P320 with the factory-installed Romeo 1 red dot sight, but I did buy mine. Stealing another man's stuff really ticks me off. Sorry to hear that.

Recent Posts