Good Pistol Smith’s

Looking for a Smith that works on pistols. I have a ruger P85 and some glocks that jam. Location isn't a big deal just want some one that's reputable and won't take 6+ months.
A Glock that jams? I don't like them but know a lot of good men that bet their life on them after tens of thousands of rounds down the runway. I'd take Coyote Shadow Trackers advice and send it back to Glock of ask local PD armorer his thoughts. I'll stick to the wheel guns.

I've been through two Glock Armorer's courses. When I owned them it was pretty common to have failures due to a weak recoil guide rod spring. I'd change out the assembly every 3k rounds and that fixed that issue. As far as the Ruger I'd call up the factory and see what they say.

For what it's worth, I would tear down and clean every nook and cranny on the slide. I will say I have owned glocks but have never done this on them. I have on several 1911 and sigs. The amount of grime that builds up can be surprising. On my 1911's, when I start to get misfeeds, I do this and it takes care of the problem (aside from the occasional extractor parts replacement).

I don't like Glocks and don't own any. However they are generally a really solid and reliable platform. I simply don't like how they feel or the goofy trigger. I happen to shoot my son's g5 Glock 17 extremely well. Still don't like it. I carry a Sig P365 or Seecamp 32 generally. Have a P226 Legion, custom 1911 several S&W revolvers etc.

What you say is what I read on discussion forums but anytime I've shipped a handgun, (4 or 5 times), I've been required to ship overnight. Would you happen to know where the UPS and FedEx regulations say 2 day is required?
I don't but I have never had issues shipping handguns out and get shipments regularly all coming 2nd day. I do have an FFL. I would suggest not broadcasting what you are doing just set the shipment up correctly. Often the attendent behind the counter has no idea on what to do. None of what we are discussing is law just UPS/FedEx policy which I think comes from dishonest employees stealing shipments in years past. Easier to track and less time in the system going 2nd day. I think having things NOT look like a gun is much better as it doesn't draw attention from dirt bags or others. It does have to go to an FFL (or yourself) but doesn't have to come from an FFL.

At my police agency, the Houston Police Department, when you go to do your yearly qualification, if you shoot a Glock, you are required to bring your own ammo. This is because the Glocks are famous for "Glocking" the spent shells, meaning they mess up the rim of the case (loose tolerances I've been told.) rendering most brass shot from a Glock useless for reloading. Before you get your panties in a wad, I did not make that rule, and all Glocks do not do this, but apparently many Glocks do bugger up the brass. I shoot a SIG Sauer P220 10mm and it always functions perfectly. And, except when I am qualifying, I always shoot full-power handloads, and I still hit where I aim. (The qualification ammo is free.)

I didn't see that in the Houston PD general order for firearms authorized (Glock 17) to bring your own ammo. Interesting..

Since Houston PD cares so much about the "glocking" of the case mouths and the reloadability of the cartridges, does Houston PD load their ammo? :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure the only Glock approved during current classes is the 17 in Houston.

So, you're telling me the Houston PD reloads their own ammo, which for duty is troubling in itself, and can't figure out how to get the right neck tension on their cases? Lol

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My experience is quite the opposite of yours. I have 3 Glocks and have never experienced a failure to feed or extract with any of them. I trust them and conceal carry them almost daily. They are all stock. I'm leery of swapping parts and tinkering with something that a person might depend upon for protection. I'm inclined to agree with others on this thread about cleanliness and limp wristing the guns. in any event good luck to you!

I didn't see that in the Houston PD general order for firearms authorized (Glock 17) to bring your own ammo. Interesting..

Since Houston PD cares so much about the "glocking" of the case mouths and the reloadability of the cartridges, does Houston PD load their ammo? :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure the only Glock approved during current classes is the 17 in Houston.

So, you're telling me the Houston PD reloads their own ammo, which for duty is troubling in itself, and can't figure out how to get the right neck tension on their cases? Lol
It has been a while since I went to HPD to qualify, so maybe they changed their rules. When I still lived in Houston and qualified there, Glock shooters HAD to bring their own ammo. I believe the range supplied the spent brass to an outside vendor to be reloaded at that time. But, hey, it is HPD for crying out loud. NOTHING they do as far weapons makes much sense to me. They do require you to furnish your own duty ammo., but that is about the only good/smart thing they do. Yes, I'm a wee bit bitter toward HPD, but that is between me and HPD. No one was ever any happier to be accepted to HPD than was I, and no one was happier to retire thirty years later than was yours truly.