Good OU 20 gauge for Sporing clays

Well I must say and shout out to everyone that posted... THANK YOU for taking the time and share some of your knowledge to try and help an "Old" newbie get started. I understand the rabbit hole does exist and hopefully I can stay on track. I really appreciate ALL of the advise and I think I have a path laid out so I can make a good choice on where and what to start with. I have been on the phone pretty much all afternoon with my local club/range and they offered up some tips as well. With their help we are going to be testing a couple Beretta's out and yes believe it or not 12ga. 687 SPIII sporting 32'' and an A400 Xcel 30" w/KO so we will be having some fun and I will be getting set up with a pro coach! Again thank you all for all your advise and help....Much Appreciated
Attached boy! Could not be happier for you. A good coach will make all the difference. In the first place he will show you how to hold the gun. Being a rifle shooter it will feel strange. Butt of gun goes between collar bone and shoulder. This keeps it from bouncing on doubles absorbs recoil and keeps your face from bring brused. He will show you nose over toes that will seem off balance at first. How to swing without dropping a shoulder and driving the barrel down, causing you to miss low.... so much to learn and so much fun. You will have fun and learn because you are doing it the right way. PM me any time, I'll do whatever I can to help.

One more thing, we normally shoot about 20 boxes in a 4 hour lesson so you are going to be needing ammo....... and remember LOOK AT THE BIRD!!!!

Another thing different from a rifle. Break-in. 100 rounds will usually do it for you and the rifle. If you get the 687 it is generally agreed that a new competition O/U takes about 5000 rounds to be fully broken in and for you to get used to the new gun. When I went from a Blaser to a Kolar it was almost two seasons they are so different. I dropped from AAA class to A class. I'm climbing back now and shooting the kolar better than I ever did the F3. Patience is a virtue. Took me maybe 30k rounds to get used to it. Enjoy the road you are going down and don't set unreasonable expectations for yourself. This is actually a numbers game. Whoever works the hardest and burns the most powder usually wins.

Another thing different from a rifle. Break-in. 100 rounds will usually do it for you and the rifle. If you get the 687 it is generally agreed that a new competition O/U takes about 5000 rounds to be fully broken in and for you to get used to the new gun. When I went from a Blaser to a Kolar it was almost two seasons they are so different. I dropped from AAA class to A class. I'm climbing back now and shooting the kolar better than I ever did the F3. Patience is a virtue. Took me maybe 30k rounds to get used to it. Enjoy the road you are going down and don't set unreasonable expectations for yourself. This is actually a numbers game. Whoever works the hardest and burns the most powder usually wins.
It will be slow going for me and I'm in no rush but my timeline was this year to start as I have 6 C/F matches sceduled to get prepped for, that equates to 2-2500 rds +practice and the first match is in 3wks and I'm not loaded yet! Fun, Fun, Fun!!

Just as the title says. I am a small guy so don't want the recoil of a 12 and I'm just getting started.
You will love Sporting Clays (Field & Game here in OZ), I shoot a Zoli Columbus 20ga and it does the job every time, my other goto gun is my 1976 Winchester 23 XTR made in Japan, both exceptional

It will be slow going for me and I'm in no rush but my timeline was this year to start as I have 6 C/F matches sceduled to get prepped for, that equates to 2-2500 rds +practice and the first match is in 3wks and I'm not loaded yet! Fun, Fun, Fun!!
You will be a busy boy. Good thing you don't have to get up and go to work every morning. I'm 64 and right behind you Buddy.

If you are fine with $2k pick up a Browning and Beretta. One of them will fit you better than the other buy it and shoot it. When you shoot in the high 80's consistently a fitted gun may be in order. Unless you just happen to be able to afford it right off.

Lucky me - Joel Etchen isn't too far from me! About an hour and 15 away. I'd heard of him before and happened by his store one morning after a successful day of buck hunting. I figured I had the time, I might as well stop in.

They took a lot of time to talk with me, show me, let me handle, etc. a wide variety of guns (including Krieghoff and Guerini). All this while I'm in my hunting stuff and am certainly not looking like the customer that normally walks through their door.

I was dead set on getting one of their 687 All Around Guns, but after shouldering one, I was dead wrong. I had read nothing but positive reviews about JE and the AAG when I started shopping, noting it was likely one of the best deals out their for a intro competition gun (as Orange Dust mentioned in this thread as well!). The drop of the AAG had me looking down on the rib of the gun and it was terribly uncomfortable. They grabbed one of their 687 Signature Sportings and it fit very, very well. I tried a few others but kept coming back to the 687. (I loved the Krieghoffs and Guerini, but I'm just getting into this and those were far above my already higher than I should have budget.). With that said, I left their store empty handed promising I would be back. The dollars weren't quite there and Christmas was very close. I parted ways with some items I no longer needed over the next month and was able to make a trip back on New Year' Eve. They went through the process AGAIN! of letting me shoulder, swing, feel, etc. a variety of guns. "If you going to spend the money - $3,600 or $20,000 - we need to make sure the shotgun fits."

I very much appreciate the time they afforded me and helping me pick out a shotgun. The most difficult part was picking which one I wanted - from a wood perspective! The wood that they get on their signature lines are incredible.

I'm new to this, but really look forward to continuing the journey. I've shot trap and sporting clays off and on over the years, but started to pick it up more. I'd been behind Beretta a handful of times while borrowing / renting guns (having shot an 82/100 off a club 686 gun at the last outing!). I'm very happy with that score and it's what got me to thinking Beretta would likely be my intro into the O/U game. Would I love to own some of the other higher end guns someday? Absolutely. But the JE 687 will absolutely do for now!

Good luck on testing and trying things out! It will make narrowing down your choices much easier.