Good OU 20 gauge for Sporing clays

Lucky me - Joel Etchen isn't too far from me! About an hour and 15 away. I'd heard of him before and happened by his store one morning after a successful day of buck hunting. I figured I had the time, I might as well stop in.

They took a lot of time to talk with me, show me, let me handle, etc. a wide variety of guns (including Krieghoff and Guerini). All this while I'm in my hunting stuff and am certainly not looking like the customer that normally walks through their door.

I was dead set on getting one of their 687 All Around Guns, but after shouldering one, I was dead wrong. I had read nothing but positive reviews about JE and the AAG when I started shopping, noting it was likely one of the best deals out their for a intro competition gun (as Orange Dust mentioned in this thread as well!). The drop of the AAG had me looking down on the rib of the gun and it was terribly uncomfortable. They grabbed one of their 687 Signature Sportings and it fit very, very well. I tried a few others but kept coming back to the 687. (I loved the Krieghoffs and Guerini, but I'm just getting into this and those were far above my already higher than I should have budget.). With that said, I left their store empty handed promising I would be back. The dollars weren't quite there and Christmas was very close. I parted ways with some items I no longer needed over the next month and was able to make a trip back on New Year' Eve. They went through the process AGAIN! of letting me shoulder, swing, feel, etc. a variety of guns. "If you going to spend the money - $3,600 or $20,000 - we need to make sure the shotgun fits."

I very much appreciate the time they afforded me and helping me pick out a shotgun. The most difficult part was picking which one I wanted - from a wood perspective! The wood that they get on their signature lines are incredible.

I'm new to this, but really look forward to continuing the journey. I've shot trap and sporting clays off and on over the years, but started to pick it up more. I'd been behind Beretta a handful of times while borrowing / renting guns (having shot an 82/100 off a club 686 gun at the last outing!). I'm very happy with that score and it's what got me to thinking Beretta would likely be my intro into the O/U game. Would I love to own some of the other higher end guns someday? Absolutely. But the JE 687 will absolutely do for now!

Good luck on testing and trying things out! It will make narrowing down your choices much easier.
Sounds like the 687 fit pretty well. On that gun you should see ALL of the rib and have maybe an 1/8 in gap between the beads. This is so you can see the target better and helps keep you from raising your head. Terrible habit.... more you know.

Lucky me - Joel Etchen isn't too far from me! About an hour and 15 away. I'd heard of him before and happened by his store one morning after a successful day of buck hunting. I figured I had the time, I might as well stop in.

They took a lot of time to talk with me, show me, let me handle, etc. a wide variety of guns (including Krieghoff and Guerini). All this while I'm in my hunting stuff and am certainly not looking like the customer that normally walks through their door.

I was dead set on getting one of their 687 All Around Guns, but after shouldering one, I was dead wrong. I had read nothing but positive reviews about JE and the AAG when I started shopping, noting it was likely one of the best deals out their for a intro competition gun (as Orange Dust mentioned in this thread as well!). The drop of the AAG had me looking down on the rib of the gun and it was terribly uncomfortable. They grabbed one of their 687 Signature Sportings and it fit very, very well. I tried a few others but kept coming back to the 687. (I loved the Krieghoffs and Guerini, but I'm just getting into this and those were far above my already higher than I should have budget.). With that said, I left their store empty handed promising I would be back. The dollars weren't quite there and Christmas was very close. I parted ways with some items I no longer needed over the next month and was able to make a trip back on New Year' Eve. They went through the process AGAIN! of letting me shoulder, swing, feel, etc. a variety of guns. "If you going to spend the money - $3,600 or $20,000 - we need to make sure the shotgun fits."

I very much appreciate the time they afforded me and helping me pick out a shotgun. The most difficult part was picking which one I wanted - from a wood perspective! The wood that they get on their signature lines are incredible.

I'm new to this, but really look forward to continuing the journey. I've shot trap and sporting clays off and on over the years, but started to pick it up more. I'd been behind Beretta a handful of times while borrowing / renting guns (having shot an 82/100 off a club 686 gun at the last outing!). I'm very happy with that score and it's what got me to thinking Beretta would likely be my intro into the O/U game. Would I love to own some of the other higher end guns someday? Absolutely. But the JE 687 will absolutely do for now!

Good luck on testing and trying things out! It will make narrowing down your choices much easier.
Sounds like a good outing for sure, wish they were closer as they are very helpful and friendly on the phone and folks speak highly of them.

Sounds like a good outing for sure, wish they were closer as they are very helpful and friendly on the phone and folks speak highly of them.
Great folks indeed! I've come to find that it seems most shotgun exclusive stores are very helpful and tend to watch for particular things.

I guess what I was getting at from my post is - as many have referenced - fit is of upmost importance. Sounds like you're headed down the right track of going, shooting, handling, etc. I'm glad Joel took the time to work with me, it made the experience a lot better. Knowing I have an appropriately fitted shotgun gives comfort as I continue to shoot more, while some of my other Buddies have spend more dollars on guns they didn't handle first. Now they are putting more money into them to get them to fit them! Surely I could have spent more, but he asked my experience, my goals, etc. and helped me get into it. I appreciate the honesty in the whole approach.

Great folks indeed! I've come to find that it seems most shotgun exclusive stores are very helpful and tend to watch for particular things.

I guess what I was getting at from my post is - as many have referenced - fit is of upmost importance. Sounds like you're headed down the right track of going, shooting, handling, etc. I'm glad Joel took the time to work with me, it made the experience a lot better. Knowing I have an appropriately fitted shotgun gives comfort as I continue to shoot more, while some of my other Buddies have spend more dollars on guns they didn't handle first. Now they are putting more money into them to get them to fit them! Surely I could have spent more, but he asked my experience, my goals, etc. and helped me get into it. I appreciate the honesty in the whole approach.
Correct.
Cole and Joel, Beretta
Pacific, Perazzi
Elite, Kolar
Dupont, kreigoff
There are some smaller guys out there but these are the elite specialty dealers. Here is where you will find shotguns up to as much as $300k actually in stock. Service you haven't seen in 40 years. They have to the market is Tiny and competition is fierce. They can all be compared at the world shooting complex during the world shoot for skeet and national Champs for sporting. Some of these plus another bunch are at the Grand. These are the only times you can compare everything and shoot everything the same day. I hate vendor row I always find something I cannot live without that costs way too much.

Here is a thing about a new shotgun that will drive you nuts. Buy it set it up and go shoot it. You will instantly shoot better than you did with the old one. The more it costs the better you will shoot, for a little while. Buy it set it up run a couple boxes and go win a shoot. Keep shooting it and you will drop at least 2 classes. Shows you just how much of this is mental. Then it will take at least 20 flats to really get used to It. If you are in AA or AAA ot will take a lot more if you change brands so if you are there you better have a good reason to change.

Orange Dust - There is an Elite store about 20 minutes from me! I was in there a couple weeks back as a Buddy was looking for his first O/U (he won a $1,000 gift card at a charity event we went to). It was cool getting to hold some of the very high end shotguns - but not in my realm of possibility any time soon. I did love the opportunity though! And same as Joel - EXCELLENT folks to deal with.

Orange Dust - There is an Elite store about 20 minutes from me! I was in there a couple weeks back as a Buddy was looking for his first O/U (he won a $1,000 gift card at a charity event we went to). It was cool getting to hold some of the very high end shotguns - but not in my realm of possibility any time soon. I did love the opportunity though! And same as Joel - EXCELLENT folks to deal with.
Dan is a good friend of mine. Bought several guns from him and he comes 2000 miles to our shoots. Fine a fella as it gets. If you see Dan Lewis tell him James said hi!

Dan is a good friend of mine. Bought several guns from him and he comes 2000 miles to our shoots. Fine a fella as it gets.. I just looked and you are east. Dan is in California

You will find that "Keeping up with the kids" is just as tough or tougher in shotgun sports. In their late 20's and early 30's they have better eyes, reflexes, and are well coached. Sometimes us old guys can beat them all. Not usually, but sometimes. Those "Sometimes" make all the extra effort we have to endure totally worth it.
my uncle is 94 yrs old and their isn't a one of us in the family that can out shoot him no matter if were using rifles or shotguns {his favorite and the only rifle he's owned for 60+ yrs being the model 88 winchester in 308 and the remington model 1100 12 ga]
the old boy can shoot he's forgotten more about shooting then ill ever learn if i live to be 100