Good or Bad luck!!!

115vld

So I just had my custom Weatherby MK V chambered from 7WSM to 7 Rem mag. That being said, I am heading to Africa in 2 weeks. I never could get the short mag to feed in the long tapered magazine so I decided I didnt want any dangerous game stomping me down in the ground on a charge as I try to shoot my single shot at them!!! So sunday my smith went to work and we re-chambered to 7 rem mag. The rounds fed just fine.

All I have to do now is get my OAL of the chamber. Well I didnt have a COAL gauge so I take a once fired piece of brass that has not been resized. I get a 168 Berger and set it in the neck. I put the round in my chamber and push the bolt forward. As you all know, this pushes the bullet into the neck giving me an OAL and gives me a good starting point to load my rounds. Well this was what I wanted to happen!!! When I pulled my bolt back my extractor claw broke off!!! It left the empty brass and bullet in the chamber and now im stuck with a broken bolt right before i leave for the hunt of a lifetime!!! So i get my cleaning rod out and send it down the muzzle to extract the brass. That worked to get my brass out. But Im still freakin out about my bolt being broken. So this morning I call the smith and got my part ordered.

I got to thinking about it and am glad it happened now instead of when a jaguar or lion was bearing down on me. I guess I cant be too mad!

I'd say it was good luck.

Be sure to take pictures and notes, we want to hear all about your hunt.

For some of us, a hunting trip to Africa is our once in a lifetime dream hunt.

I hope your luck holds and you are successful and safe.

AJ

So I just had my custom Weatherby MK V chambered from 7WSM to 7 Rem mag. That being said, I am heading to Africa in 2 weeks. I never could get the short mag to feed in the long tapered magazine so I decided I didnt want any dangerous game stomping me down in the ground on a charge as I try to shoot my single shot at them!!! So sunday my smith went to work and we re-chambered to 7 rem mag. The rounds fed just fine.

All I have to do now is get my OAL of the chamber. Well I didnt have a COAL gauge so I take a once fired piece of brass that has not been resized. I get a 168 Berger and set it in the neck. I put the round in my chamber and push the bolt forward. As you all know, this pushes the bullet into the neck giving me an OAL and gives me a good starting point to load my rounds. Well this was what I wanted to happen!!! When I pulled my bolt back my extractor claw broke off!!! It left the empty brass and bullet in the chamber and now im stuck with a broken bolt right before i leave for the hunt of a lifetime!!! So i get my cleaning rod out and send it down the muzzle to extract the brass. That worked to get my brass out. But Im still freakin out about my bolt being broken. So this morning I call the smith and got my part ordered.

I got to thinking about it and am glad it happened now instead of when a jaguar or lion was bearing down on me. I guess I cant be too mad!

There is never a ''Good'' time for something to break on a rifle , But in this case it was the "Best"
time if it was going to happen.

So now you can enjoy the hunt without worrying about bad luck. (You have had yours)

Good luck and good hunting

J E CUSTOM

This hunt will be on video with a Cannon HD camera with a 20x optical zoom. There will literally be hundreds of pics fellas!!! I have been putting countless rounds down range getting ready for this hunt. I am leaving in 2 weeks. I cant wait!! Im going for kudu, gemsbok, red hartebeast, blue wildebeast, spring buck, and wart hog. Its all the baboons and cheetahs we can kill. I dont care to shoot a cheetah but will be attempting a 1 mile kill on a baboon. I have been shooting quite a bit at a mile and am actually getting decent on getting hits with my cold bore shot. I am shooting at a 25" tall steel human target and am getting on average 5-6 shots out of 10 with perfect conditions. Needless to say if I dont have perfect conditions I will not be taking the shot.

I cant wait to put pics and video up for ya'll to see. Thanks for the luck,
Chase

It's always nice to get Mr. Murphy out of the way early.
Good luck and be safe.

If you see that Jaguar tell him to haul butt back across the Atlantic where he belongs!

I feel your pain. The week before my elk hunt with Mr. Peacock last October it seemed like just about everything that could go wrong did. First my best friend's leave was canceled and we had been planning on hunting since we were in Iraq earlier last year, along with another friend whom was KIA. So I had to drive by myself...16hrs there and 24 back (blizzard). My jeep burned down 5 days before my leave date, along with my brand new Bushnell 1500 LRF, guncase and tipton cleaning rod along with some clothes. I rented a truck. Then three days before leaving my new Leupold went down on me (Leupold sent a loaner overnight mail).

The trip was worth it!
Thanks again Don and Slymule!

Bravo 4,

We did have a great hunt, and you nearly cancelled! Just because of a burned down jeep, 2 broken scopes and a burned up range finder. You still got a great bull!

AJ

Thanks to you Don.

By the way, I like the new bottom part of your sig. Just a complicated way of saying, "You think too much!"...:D

So as not to steal from this thread anymore, email inbound.

Well just got my new extractor put on yesterday! Works like a gem!! I am starting to get the fever!! I am super excited now:D

A jackel or baboon at a mile on video is what I will be comming home with...nothing less, at least i hope not gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.