Good mult-person tent for back country horseback hunting

codyadams

We don't have a horseback hunting section so this is about the best place I could think to put this....

Going to start doing some back country horseback camping/scouting this summer, which should culminate in back country deer and elk hunting this fall like we do every year, just this time with horses. This is in Wyoming high country. I'm looking for a good sized tent, like 6-10 man tent, that I can put a small stove in. I don't want the weight of a canvas tent, looking for something lighter and less bulky than that. Also want something waterproof enough to withstand snow and rain. Also, any suggestions on a stove would be great too!

So, what do ya'll got? What works good?

We use a Seek Outside 12 person teepee paired with a Cylinder Stove Scout wood burning stove. It is a palace for three, gear and a wood pile. We've used it in wind, rain and snow and it's held up very, very well. We have two liners for it, which I consider a must in order to mitigate moisture. We use MSR Cyclone and groundhog stakes.

If I were to do it again, I would purchase a titanium folding stove and not the Cylinder stove simply to save weight and volume. The Cylinder stove is first class, just heavy and large even though it's their smallest model. It's ideal for truck camp. Seek Outside, Kifaru, etc all make suitably sized collapsible folding titanium stoves that are a little bit of a pita to assemble and don't hold a fire as well, but they're fantastic for packing and do a great job warming things up and drying clothes and boots.

Also, I'd consider a shelter that requires a smaller footprint. The 12 person is a palace as mentioned. Honestly for two, it's too much even with Helinox cots, stove, giant woodpile and all of the gear. Again, I'd go straight to Seek Outside and Kifaru and browse their shelter options. If it'd work for your application, the SO Cimmaron in dynema is a super simple shelter that's sized about right for two and a minimalist backpacking type horseback hunt. The Kifaru Sawtooth is another.

Please let me know if you have any questions as I'd be glad to share what I've learned along my backcountry horsemanship journey.

A3DABFD0-C04C-428B-A3B4-6E879A74A829.jpeg
B6CAF4AA-1B97-4B5B-ADA3-917300BE5EB7.jpeg
A3DABFD0-C04C-428B-A3B4-6E879A74A829.jpeg

I have one from Buckstitch in Cody, WY. Relite fabric if I recall. About half the weight of canvas. Check out their website for options.

Stone glacier looks to have something that might work. I have their 2 person tent works great.

Another for seek tipi and stove, only draw back with tipi style is with wind. Tried setting it up on a ridge with 25-35 winds and 3 of us could not get it guyed out enough. Im guessing on wind speed and may be on the low end, it would have been a feat to setup any tent most likely. Worked just fine down in the valley with 10-15 winds, just not in wind that makes it difficult for a person to stand in place.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts