Good Low Light Binoculars

If 10X42 is sufficient magnification for you, then I highly recommend Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42. It has the latest phase-corrected prisms and are extremely sharp, bright and water proof. Very reasonably priced (around $270). If you want more manification, I would recommend Canon's image stablized 15X50 or 18X50. These are pricy, but they do optical stablization and you can handhold these without tripod. They are also rated for all weather. I had a chance to try out a pair of 18X50 IS and was very impressed with the image stabilization, brightness and clarity.

[ 12-13-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]

rolltide,
Everyone has given you good info on what to get and I would have to agree - go with the 8X56. These will give you what you are wanting - more light.
I have the Leica 10X50, very nice indeed, but the 8X56 would be even a little better for low light.

Dont let that 100 price on the B&L spook you. That is a sweet deal on a quaility pair of bino's that will hold their own against the others you mentioned. I have 2 pair of the Bausch and Lomb and actually gave my Wind Rivers away because they didnt produce in low light as well. These binos are almost identical to the Nikon ATB Monarch. I've heard they were produced in the same plants at one time and just exited out different doors, but I dont know that for a fact. I have the ATB Nikons as well and if you were to cover the labels along with the B&L , I couldnt tell them apart, looking at them or through them.. Like others have stated, they wont match up with the high end glasses but then they dont cost 2k either. They are a steal at 100 and really are worth 3x that. If you would pm me the info on the closeout deal I would gladly stock up on a couple extras for future ventures.. There is a reason they looked so clear when you picked them up. But if saving a bunch of money buying binos doesnt set well with you,,, by all means pass them up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.