Good long range scope with zero stop for beginner

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm looking for a good long range hunting scope with zero stop I'm just getting into long range hunting and shooting and I know good glass is top priority I've been using leupolds for years and really like them but I'm wanting a new scope after I get my rifle and would like to have one with external adjustments and zero stop if possible just would like some info on what scopes would be good to check out
I would like
Moa or mills adjustment.
Not real picky on cross hears butbi do like for instance the tri moa like in leupolds or Boone and crocket but I'm open to different ones
1inch tube but 30mm is okay
I have all 2nd fps scope but would like to give ffp a try
Lowest power level ould be say 3 I like 4 to 4.5 on most of my scopes
Budget would be no more than 800 right now but can hold out and save for a better one

Last edited:
I personally like Vortex Viper PST Gen2. I have several different Vortex scopes and not complaints. Love their warranty as well.
I've looked at those few times only thang is I started researching them and have found alot of bad reviews on them lately so not sure.ive looked at arken and Nikon fx1000 as well

I've looked at those few times only thang is I started researching them and have found alot of bad reviews on them lately so not sure.ive looked at arken and Nikon fx1000 as well

Everybody has their choice. Find something you like. Go to a store and look through several. Find what fits you and your needs.

Everybody has their choice. Find something you like. Go to a store and look through several. Find what fits you and your needs.
Yea your right I went to look at some today but the place I went didnt have very many to look at they've sold about everything and are waiting on restock

How much max magnification do you like and what's your budget? You'll get better advice if that criteria is given.
Well I guess it be better better for me to say any scope with low end near 4 to 4.5 power high end I guess would be 14 and up I hope that sounds right.the more top end the better I thank the highest power scope I have is 20 or so I'd have to look but it's a cheaper scope on a target rifle

I find that I like 15-20 as the top magnification. I also try to keep my weight of the scope in line with what I am doing. So adding say a vortex pst gen 2 would add 31.2 ounces or almost 2 pounds. Great for varmint maybe not so great for light hunting. While a leupold VX 5 HD weighs under 20 ounces. Great for lighter hunting. So just watch the weight on the items as you go. Example I set out to build a hunting rifle and it weighed 14 pounds all said and done. Makes for a great varmint/long range rifle, not so fun to hunt with.
scopes I have liked for hunting: leupold VX 5 HD, leupold VX 6HD, Vortex razor LHT and I had a Zeiss but I forget the model. Those scopes arent a fortune but good.
The March scopes, the Nightforce and S+B I have no practical experience and can't speak on, I hear they are great.

So what did the reviewers say was bad about the scope?

I own two of them and have had no problems with their performance or function. I work at a gun store and we sell Vortex products and in the several years I've been there I've never had a customer complain about the PST scopes.

Vortex PST Gen 2, SS an Burris XTRii are all pretty competitive. The PST has a better reticle. The SS is cheaper generally. I think I paid $599 for the SS 3-15x mil quad reticle. Good scope, but requires eBay shim Kit for zero stop.

I have 2 Vortex HSTs and they are fine for my purposes. They track well and the turrets are well made with distinctive "clicks" and repeatable zero. What they lack is clarity in low light but for the price I can't complain.

I also have a Sig Tango 4 FFP. Better clairity and I really like the illuminated reticle. Turrets are a bit cumbersome to zero set and the parallax knob is stiff but this scope is really growing on me.

Do I want a Nightforce? Yes, but I don't need one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.