good long range load for elk

From everything I've heard and read, a Berger 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid will put them down just fine, provided you have proper shot placement.

Hunt, my son's 300 Wby with the 210 Berger and IMR7828SSC has been outstanding. H1000 was about the same, but he has an abundance of the 7828. Tried 200 gr Nosler Partitions and 200 gr Accubonds which shot well at <400 yards. 210's will bury an elk when hit in the boiler room and the internals are mush. I've dressed a lot of elk killed with this bullet and none went over 10 yards. Rarely do 2 rifles of the same caliber like the same load. Try several combinations to find what yours likes and then fine tune with seating depth. The 300 Wby is more than capable for elk and possibly at a greater distance than you are comfortable with. Good luck

What powder do you have on hand?
Have you done any load testing to see what range of bullet weights work best in your rifle?

I haven't done any testing in my rifle but the nobler 180 accubond works good in his but he doesn't Remember what powder he thinks I'm 7828.

Hunt, my son's 300 Wby with the 210 Berger and IMR7828SSC has been outstanding. H1000 was about the same, but he has an abundance of the 7828. Tried 200 gr Nosler Partitions and 200 gr Accubonds which shot well at <400 yards. 210's will bury an elk when hit in the boiler room and the internals are mush. I've dressed a lot of elk killed with this bullet and none went over 10 yards. Rarely do 2 rifles of the same caliber like the same load. Try several combinations to find what yours likes and then fine tune with seating depth. The 300 Wby is more than capable for elk and possibly at a greater distance than you are comfortable with. Good luck

Thank you for the information I will give it a try and let you know.

I have killed many elk in WY, UT, and ID. As I am getting older, I want less recoil but more accuracy. I use a custom 308 with 165 Barnes TSX as well as a 7-08 with a 140 TSX. Put either bullet in the right place at up to 400yds and you have a dead elk.

I have killed many elk in WY, UT, and ID. As I am getting older, I want less recoil but more accuracy. I use a custom 308 with 165 Barnes TSX as well as a 7-08 with a 140 TSX. Put either bullet in the right place at up to 400yds and you have a dead elk.

Thank you for the information

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.