Good load for a 6.5 Creedmoor

rl same

I am wondering if anyone has any input on a good load for a 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot 1,000 Yards.

I've had good results with Berger 140 and either h4350 or RL17. RL17 is a bit faster and more accurate in my rifle, but can be affected by temperature variances.

With that said, you need to experiment with what your rifle likes. It could be very different than what some posts may suggest.

I've had good results with Berger 140 and either h4350 or RL17. RL17 is a bit faster and more accurate in my rifle, but can be affected by temperature variances.

With that said, you need to experiment with what your rifle likes. It could be very different than what some posts may suggest.

+1 on everything Rick just said.

I was (almost) stacking them at 800 this weekend and was doing well out to 1200 on rocks with H4350 and 140 VLD Bergers. The RL17 works great in my rifle to with the same temp issues (not that big a deal sometimes). My rifle like the VLDs jammed though usually try to get them just touching or .001 to .003 into the lands.

Good Luck!

My rifle loves H4831SC and a 140 Berger. I'm getting 2825fps and am well pleased with the accuracy.

image.jpg

I am shooting the VLDs, but was wondering if anyone has had better luck with the Hybrids. Generally speaking, I find the VLDs perform best either touching the land or about .010 off. I also, find Hybrids shoot best .030 to .050 off the lands.

I load for my brother's rifle and his rifle absolutely loves the 140 hornady SST with 41 grains of RL 17. It shoots the bergers well also but accuracy is better with the SST.

Randy

I´m loading hybrids on my 6.5 CM with great results.
Hornady Case
43gr RL-17
CCI 200
BTOL: 2.215" (just to fit my magazine)
No pressure signs anywhere.

Only issue I find is that I can't get single digit SD but have tried also H4350 and had the same problem. When I switch to Siroccos I get a SD of 8 which is great.
Haven´t tested for temp sensitivity on the RL-17. I had the idea it was temp stable but after reading this post I found out I was wrong. Will have to make some tests and input the data on my Ballistic calculator.

Attachments

• IMG_6369.jpg
    IMG_6369.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6373.jpg
    IMG_6373.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 21
This 3 shot group came at of my rifle yesterday!!!!!
Brass: Hornady
Bullet: Hornady SST 123gr
Powder: RL-17 44.5gr
Primer: CCI 200
BTOL: 2.186"
MV: 3110fps
SD: 5

I fired 3 shots at a 100m target, then installed the magneto speed and fired the 2 remaining rounds I had at another target.
I need to run more shots over the Magneto to get a more accurate MV average and SD. 2 Shots are not significant, but that´s what I had at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_6611.jpg
    IMG_6611.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.