Good ideas for calling from a timber?

we had lost a few calves due to coyotes and dad and i are getting tired of it. We have pastures bordering timbers and im willing to bet they come from the timbers. we have a call, but i think it distorts the sound too much. Any tips to help irradicate those mangy coyotes? gun)

we had lost a few calves due to coyotes and dad and i are getting tired of it. We have pastures bordering timbers and im willing to bet they come from the timbers. we have a call, but i think it distorts the sound too much. Any tips to help irradicate those mangy coyotes? gun)

Put the gun away and learn to trap.

have a buddy trapping there. he's pulled 3 out already. but we're pretty much done here for season. now its time for calling and shooting.

I'm not sure why there's a season for damage control. I wouldn't stop trapping until calving was over and they were well up on their feet.

If your set on shooting, you should try getting right into the heavy cover. Find a good stand with decent shooting lanes. Using an electronic caller set up a little away from you helps. Use a shotgun and leave the long gun in the truck. Shots will be fast like a quail.

For the long gun, howling can be effective but calling to much in the same area like a ranch can really slow things down.

I hunt in the Northeast, this means lots of timber. Best success, definitely a tree stand. Set up a bait that they get accustomed to for a while, about 50-100 yards out. I also use a Foxpro about 50 yards out with a Mojo. AR15 with a 3x scope has proven most effective. This has worked for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.