Good gauge for measuring case neck

1980Harley

I'm looking at purchasing a good gauge, not the most expensive one, but something accurate enough to measure the case neck thickness to aid in obtaining concentric cartridges. I'm also needing to purchase a case neck trimmer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
1980Harley

This will be primarily for my 6.5CM, 308 and 22-250. I do have a couple of contender barrels that are not shooting up to the level I think they are able to, so maybe this would help solve that problem.

If you are trying to reduce your case neck run-out and not spend a fortune on custom dies I would suggest you size your case with a Redding body die, the neck with a Lee collet die, and seat the bullet with a benchrest type seater die such as the Forster or Redding. This has greatly reduced the run-out in my loading. Now will it show up on paper is another thing.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I've never used just a body die, but I have used the collet dies in other cartridges. For the CM, I have a set of the Hornady custom dies with the seater plug for the 143's I'm shooting. I'm a noob with the long range and precision equipment.

If you are trying to reduce your case neck run-out and not spend a fortune on custom dies I would suggest you size your case with a Redding body die, the neck with a Lee collet die, and seat the bullet with a benchrest type seater die such as the Forster or Redding. This has greatly reduced the run-out in my loading. Now will it show up on paper is another thing.
What is the difference in using the Redding body die and the Lee collet die vs a Forester full body die? Do you not end up at the same place?

What is the difference in using the Redding body die and the Lee collet die vs a Forester full body die? Do you not end up at the same place?
Normally when you use a standard resizing die without having the neck honed out to reduce unnessary downsizing of the neck the expander ball induces case neck run-out when being pulled back through the neck. Forester does a better job than some by having a higher placement of the ball on the mandrel but still induces some run-out . The Collet die on the other hand does not reduce the neck beyond what is needed to hold the bullet. This ,in my use, has reduced case neck run-out in my cases. As you posted we end up at the same place only in my experience you have less case neck run-out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01524DDIO/?tag=lrhmag19-20

This is what I have and use, I took it into the shop and got it QCd, but our guy said he was surprised, that it didn't need any tweaking, he validated it and I went on my way.
Don't worry about being able to measure to the fifth decimal, you're not going to be able to, accurately, without several thousand dollar equipment. Also, while mentioning scientific readings, the last digit, the one with greatest uncertainty, is dropped, in favor of repeatability.

All I'm saying is just worry about three decimals, that's all there's gages for, with the resolution and accuracy of the tools that we can get ahold of.

Besides, what's a few tenths amongst friends?

SPI is what I use but any tube micrometer will work for your needs.
Screenshot_20200918-085711_Gallery.jpg

I have the following tools that my be of interest to you:
Basic L. E. Wilson Case Trimmer and Sinclair stand. $70.00 shipped to lower 48. For $20.00 more I will include the Wilson Power Adapter.
Wilson Case Trimmer.jpg

Redding Case Neck Gauge with bench grip and four pilots: .22, 6.5mm, .270, and .30. As pictured. $100.00 shipped to lower 48.
Case Neck Gauge.jpg

Normally when you use a standard resizing die without having the neck honed out to reduce unnessary downsizing of the neck the expander ball induces case neck run-out when being pulled back through the neck. Forester does a better job than some by having a higher placement of the ball on the mandrel but still induces some run-out . The Collet die on the other hand does not reduce the neck beyond what is needed to hold the bullet. This ,in my use, has reduced case neck run-out in my cases. As you posted we end up at the same place only in my experience you have less case neck run-out.
Thanks I am really new to this game. I read a lot of people remove the exspander ball from the full length die. To do that you remove the deprived rod and everything. I have a separate decapper die. Then would you run them through the Lee neck die? Also watched a video where they interviewed a lot of multi champion f class shooters and they all said full length size and no neck die?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.