Good factory rifle?

Savage factory or call Savage custom and have one made, either way you can stay in that budget. I have a 300wsm they made up for me, solid out 1000 yards on steel.
Savage impulse in 6.8 Western. Pretty sure they will build it soon anyways. Your neighbor could get one of the first made.

REM 700 or tikka
That's what I was going to suggest. I would not buy a Remington anymore because it's not clear they will be able to honor their warranty obligations but a Tikka T3x in camo veil wideland or alpine is just under 1200 USD. It is incredibly light, the barrel and receiver are stainless steel with a wonderful cerakote finish. They also come with a muzzle brake already. I own two of them. One in camo veil wideland chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and the other in camo veil alpine chambered in 300 win mag. Some others have suggested the Bergara B14 series but those things usually over 9 pounds with the lightest coming it at over 8 pounds. The Bergara Premier Mountain rifles are light and well made *but* they are much more than 1200 USD. You are looking at close to 2k USD for one of those!

Not sure, but I think this viewpoint hasn't been covered. If your buddy wants to drop a few buck on an accurate hunting rifle, something like the Ruger American or Savage 110 will generally produce good enough groups. I would be thinking 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, 270 Win, 280 AI, 300 PRC....

Now, if he wants the best rifle to shoot now and build on later, the Tikka is a solid answer. Actions are gtg, but stocks are meh...

If he is thinking CRF, the Ruger Hawkeye or Win 70 would be ideal.

At $1200, I think he can get a Winchester 70 all weather in a Bell&Carlson stock. Nice rifle. ....or, a Tikka T3 and put a Bell&Carlson stock on it. $800 for the rifle, $300 or so for the stock. They even have custom lop available for a couple bucks more.

I have a Bergara B14 HMR in 300 PRC. I paid less then $1200 for it and have no complaints, its shoot very well with factory ammo.
Have the HMR-PRO in 300 WM. Very nice shooter and one can Find factory Ammo at about any place that sales Ammo. Little more than you have $$wise but? This will shoot alongside about Any factory gun out there! And some customs!

Save your hard earned cash...your shooting at a kill zone the size of a basketball...honestly about anything will work...a TC Compass in 7mm or .300 mag will absolutely work for $300.00 and their accuracy just might shock you for the money...

Save your hard earned cash...your shooting at a kill zone the size of a basketball...honestly about anything will work...a TC Compass in 7mm or .300 mag will absolutely work for $300.00 and their accuracy just might shock you for the money...
I have to agree with you on this one. For the money there is no better value than a TC Compass II or Venture II. The rifles are so low cost you could use them as a spare gun to be left in a hunting cabin or in the back of truck.

Is he opposed to used?

plenty of great options if he takes his time. Maxing out spending doesn't always mean the rifle is a shooter. The person behind the rifle and practice is important too.

I have a good old Rem 700 30.06 that I have had for 25 years (and was used when I got it) that went through load development and shoots pretty dang good. Probably would resale much less than $1200. Shot 3 cold bore last summer at 200 yds, 3/4" group. My groups aren't all that good, but that one was :)..... Just sayin.....

I'm currently a Tikka and Bergara fan, in that order. I do have several Howa's that have been great and would have no problem buying another.
Me too! Seriously I love Tikka's for their light weight but I love the Bergara's because they're built like tanks! The only problem I have with Bergara is they are too heavy to carry around on a back country mountain hunt. I have the Bergara's for hunting on flat land or in places where I don't have to carry it around for long distances. The Tikka's I keep for hunting at higher elevations or where I have to carry it on my back for miles.

I agree, the vanguards are shooters. If he doesn't reload I would go something super common so that ammo can be found. 30-06, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 270 win. This ammo is going to be easier to find than 300wsm
Actually the 300 WSM is one of the only calibers on the shelf at Sportsman's here in SE Idaho....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.