Good factory rifle?

Corvalliscory

So my neighbor has about $1200 to spend for a semi light weight rifle to use for mostly elk and deer. He does not reload and already has a scope. Something he can shoot up to 600 or so yards. I never buy factory rifles so I don't know what's out there. I was thinking a Savage Ultralight in 300 WSM and put a muzzle brake on it. Is there decent factory ammo for that or no? He could go 300 PRC too. I can usually find ammo if needed. Any suggestions or anything coming out that might be around that price range ish? Is the factory ammo in 300 WSM pretty short COAL where it will be a turd? Looking for a bare rifle under 8lbs. Any 30 cal rifle suggestions?

Thanks, Cory

How about in a 300 PRC? Might be a good one since there's match grade factory ammo avail.
I know you said he has a $1200 budget but he's only gonna get a mediocre rifle in that price range.
I'd really suggest he save another $600 and get a Seekins Havak ph2 300 prc, they use high quality components and sport a Rock Creek barrel

So my neighbor has about $1200 to spend for a semi light weight rifle to use for mostly elk and deer. He does not reload and already has a scope. Something he can shoot up to 600 or so yards. I never buy factory rifles so I don't know what's out there. I was thinking a Savage Ultralight in 300 WSM and put a muzzle brake on it. Is there decent factory ammo for that or no? He could go 300 PRC too. I can usually find ammo if needed. Any suggestions or anything coming out that might be around that price range ish? Is the factory ammo in 300 WSM pretty short COAL where it will be a turd? Looking for a bare rifle under 8lbs. Any 30 cal rifle suggestions?

Thanks, Cory
Look at the bergara b14

I like my Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon LR. I have a 300 win mag and it shoots well with the hand loads I have tried. I paid $1100 out the door. It's 7lbs 8 oz. I shoot 220 eldx loaded to the magazine length and it shoots .4" groups at 100. Haven't gotten to shoot it further than 200 yet but I think it's going to be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.