Good deer round for 300 WM

cdmorten

OK, maybe that's a contradiction of terms but I just got a 300 WM this year and would like to take it deer hunting.

Any thought on good rounds (brands, grain, etc.) for deer? I've just been using BH 190 match ammo for targets.

I have a .308 that I will use for deer #1, but for deer #2, I'd like to go for a long open shot which we get here in Nebraska.

Thanks.

I have been shooting the Nosler 165gr ballistic tip out of the 300WM for many years and it has worked well, although I have not shot a deer with it at longer distances. I currently use a 200gr Nosler Accubond since I am hunting Elk at the same time as deer. I took a very small whitetail last November with the accubond at 400 yards - it worked excellent.
For strictly deer, you may try the 180 Accubond.
It must be nice to be able to get more than 1 deer per year, we can only get 1 in Idaho!
grin.gif

Thanks Gonehunting Again. I'll try them out. Interestingly enough, we can get practically unlimited deer here in Nebraska. After a certain date, you can buy as many remaining tags as you want. Typically there are thousands remaining. We have a bit of a population problem in some areas of the state. I went deer hunting here for the first time last year and I got my tag sort of late in the season and was surprised that it was doe only tag and that I could get 2 of them.

One final note on our deer. All they eat is corn and I promise you that they are delicious. You can't tell the difference between these steaks and beef. We had friends over for Kabobs today and we didn't mention that the meat was venison. They were commenting over and over how tender and delicious the meat was and the we told them. It's pretty amazing.

On the down side, we give out about 300 elk tags in Nebraska and there probably aren't even 300 elk in the state.

Corbett

The 165 Nosler BT's work great for me. I have two loads one mild 3000 FPS and the other 3430 FPS. (26" 700 Sendro) Both are very accurate. They do cause damage so I keep em far enough behind the shoulder.

I have found the 180 gr ballistic tips to work great on deer out to 600yds out of the 300Win , I shoot the BlackHills 190gr loads alot but I have found that they don't expand to well on our small deer down here especialy at longer ranges

I have also had good luck with the 168gr Nosler J4's and Sierra MatchKings as well as the 175Gr MatchKings

Corbett,
I too recommend the 165gr Ballistic Tip for deer. When I had a .300 WM, that's what I used. It was extremely accurate ahead of a full charge of RL22/CCI BR2's. I only took deer to just under 500yds with this load, but it performed flawlessly.
I loaded up 4 boxes for a friend's Steyr and used 76.5gr RL22/CCI BR2. He went on a combo hunt up in Alberta (Sept 13-23rd) and took an elk, a mulie and a whiletail. He said all were one-shot deals. Hope this helps. Johnny K.

The 165gr NBT is a great deer round if you can keep the speed down to 3000fps or less (.308 / 30-06 speeds). Otherwise it makes one heck of a mess.
shocked.gif
In the 300WM I like the 180gr NBT or CTST, it will handle pretty much anything on the NA continent and at 3000fps it doesn't explode like the 165's do. I just prefer one bullet to cover all the bases. The Accubond may also be worth looking at for better weight retention.

Just my .02

Cheers
cool.gif

Corbett, why not just use the BH matchkings(see below)?

JDJones75, interesting that the 190MK's dont work for you(not sarcasum). That is our load of choice around here(south Tenn.) in the last few years I have shot or watched shot hundreds(if not more) small deer,60 pounds and up to 212lbs, shot with A191(300wm 190grMK) from 35yds to 930yds, and have not seen one where there was not MASSIVE damage done to the animal. The smallest exit hole I have seen was about the size of a baseball, and the largest you could almost have used it as a hoop to play baskettball. This is honest curiousty, not trying to be an ***, but how many have you shot/personaly seen shot with them?
confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.