Good Caliber

alldayhunter

I was wondering what would be a good caliber to look at for a long range gun. I already have a .22-250 and a .204 so I am looking for something bigger. This would primarily be used as a long range varmint gun. i have looked at a few different guns but have not decided on which one to purchase or which round. i want something that i can grow my abilities into. I have jsut started the longer range shooting. I was looking at some of the coopers but am open to any suggestions. Since i am a young newlywed my funds are limited and i would like to keep the rifle under 1500. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'd say go with a 308 Win in a Model 700. Any of the heavy/fluted barreled "varmint" style guns should work for you. This rifle can be used for varmints and for larger game as well.

+1 on the Rem Model 700.
+1 on the .308. But this depends on what you mean by 'varmint' and what you mean by 'Long Range'. I've seen everything from .243Win, 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and larger be appropriate for "long Range Varmints"

As far as the .308, here are some of its pluses

Long barrel life.
Great bullet availability.
Well understood ballistics.
Great gun availability.

Usable for Everything up to Deer size big game.

Don't skimp on the scope. 'Borrow one' from one of your other guns, until you can afford a good one. A high end scope will outlast several guns and you will have it for a lifetime of shooting.

Do you reload?

Good Luck,
Don

A couple ways to go here for $1500. The Coopers are off my list, as they don't chamber any of the bigger rounds. You could buy a new Remington Sendero Stainless fluted barrel in 300 Ultra. I would skim bed it, drop in a Jewel trigger and have a Holland or Defensive Edge brake fitted to it and put a decent recoil pad on it. Or you could do what I did. I bought a Weatherby Accumark in 300Wby with a factory Accubrake fitted on it. I adjusted the trigger down to a crisp 15 ounces and skim bedded it. It is an absolute tack driver and with the brake has very little recoil even when I shoot 200 grain Accubonds at 3100 fps. I put a 8.5-25x50 LRT Leupold on it mounted in Burris Signature rings on Leupold double dovetail bases. I used the +/- .010" off set inserts to mount the scope about 20MOA down. I have plenty of elevation to get out to at least 1500 yards. It goes subsonic just past 1200yards so I haven't looked into shooting any farther. I could have got away with a 6.5-20x50 LRT. I had a custom BDC knob made up by Kenton for $65. I use it on everything and have lost interest in all my other rifles. I use it on squirrels to elk. It really is fun to shoot. Now I just need to get a range finder that will keep up. My Bushnell 800 is not cutting it anymore. A new Swarovski ought to be just right.

A couple days ago my son and a buddy took our 22-250's out for a winter varmint shoot. We each shot something and all I could think was, this little round is so boring. Sure it kills but it has no pizzazz if you know what I mean.

what kind of varmits? do you reload? 1500 is just for the gun right? I have heard up and downs on coopers. Mine shoots better than anything I own along with my few custom rifles. If i do my part groups will go under .2. If I dont it will stay under .5 I have one of their 6.5x284. Another guy has tried 3 and keeps ending up with crap.

Well I'll be the bad guy and throw in a plug for the Savage fans. You can find a good used BVSS(long action preferably)in alot of "varmint" calibers to get you started and when its time to change your caliber its a simple job that can be done by any guy that can change his own sparkplugs , even going froma 223 to a 300Win mag is a pretty easy task. Sharp Shooter Supply sells pre-fit barrel for about $280 in about any caliber you want.

If you reload I would choose a hot 243 cal like the 243Ai or 6mm-06Ai , with a 1-8 twist barrel they will get you to 1000yds with good bullets , and do so without beating you up and burning a pound of powder a weekend , and if you run some 75gr Vmax's out of a 6mm-06 at top speed it make a mess at 500yds that your 22-250 cant at 200yds.

I'm persoanly a big fan of the 308 , I think that EVERYBODY thats getting into LR shooting should own a 308 first , it'll give you lessons on ranging and wind doping that can't be apperciated with a super flat shooting canon. The when you have that lazer like trajectory later it'll be alot easier to make hits.

Also , the two rifles you have are pretty close balisticaly , would you be willing to build a custom on one of them? You could get a fine rig built for $1500

I don't know about your guys but i can build a pretty fine savage for a lot less than $1500. I would get a savage accu trigger action stock of your choice and the best barrel you can afford. You will have a excellent gun that is exactly what you want under your price range. thanks reed

Thanks for all the imput. All the ideas seem like a good way to go. i have looked at the savage alot. I have seen a used model 12 BVSS in 300 win mag that i could get fairly cheap. The problem is it doesn't have the accutrigger. I like the idea of the 308 and was leaning that way just because of all the info about that paticular round to get started. I have just started reloading for my hunting rifles and would reload for this one as well. Thanks for all the information.

Also i forgot to mention i saw a .308 remington sps varmint that is new for this year and was wondering if this would be a good way to start. Could save some money for a good scope and than eventually build on the action. Just a thought. Also i would probably not want to build on the other two since one is an encore and the other is a weatherby vanguard. Thanks again.

If that BVSS is a good deal I'd jump on that , you can rebarrel it to what ever you want even the 308 with a simple barrel and bolt head change and the mag box if you want it to be a repeater , you can get a great trigger from SSS for under $100 and their lug for about $25 or so and the BVSS stock is a good solid platform to shoot from.
And later if you want to build an ultra accurate custom you can use that action and have the barrel setup like the Rem's without the barrel nut.
I've seen several BVSS's that shot under 1/2" reagularly and one was a 300Win mag.

Like I said if its a good deal jump on it and spend your leftover money on some good glass , rings and bases

I don't know a whole lot about the SPS varmint (I think it's new this year). The Action is the same as the others and it might be a good way to start stretching your range (and leave some seed money for your scope).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.