Good bullets?

hillajam

I have a 300 WIN MAG and am using Sierra matchking 200 gr HPBT. I was just curious on what other bullets you guys have used and how they shot. I'm just starting in reloading and was just curious. I guess I want to hear what bullets you guys think are the best!

The best bullet is the one that shoots the best from your gun. I never realy gave the 200gr SMK a second look due to the low BC for the weight. I use the 190 SMK and 178 A-max and now that they make a 208gr A-max I think that those would be good bullets in the 300 mag case.

What are you planning to shoot with these bullets and at what range? A good bullet for deer at 50yds might not be a good bullet for Elk at 500yds and a good bullet for Elk at 200yds might not work at all on pronghorn at 800yds

i shoot the 210 berger for long range. lapua brass. and a LOT of re-22. the 3 - 300 win mags i have loaded for have been the least temperamental cartridge to load for except for MAYBE the .222 rem. roninflag

[ QUOTE ]
... I never realy gave the 200gr SMK a second look due to the low BC for the weight. I use the 190 SMK ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I BC's of .533 for the 190 SMK and .565 for the 200SMK.

A gain of .032BC for only 10gr additional weight is a pretty even trade in a 300 Win Mag.

At 750 yards, the 190SMK has a .25MOA advantage but the 200SMK has around a 80ftlb advantage in retained energy.

Sounds about like a wash to me? It really comes down to the individual needs and the individual rifle.

Don

Not to highjack this thread - JD, the largest animal that you've taken with the 178gr AMAX in the .300? I've had superb results up to about 175 lbs often without an exit at all. I haven't tried it on larger game. I'm just wondering how you'd feel taking on Elk or something like that? My opinion from what I've seen is that it's too fragile - but I'd like to hear from another user.

Thanks for any input.

Wim

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also use the 190SMK and 178 A-Max. The 208 A-Max in on the "try it" list this spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

I also enjoy the 200 ACCUBOND.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

i used the 200gr AB's out of my 300wm on game for the first time this past fall with excellent results. one 200lb+ mulie took a high boiler room hit that passed clean through him at 470yds. minimal meat damage. another (a whitetail buck maybe 190lb..ish) took a hit straight on (facing me) at under 100yds that failed to exit...entered heart high and traveled 3/4 the length of his body coming to rest at the hip socket. bullet weighed 154gr when recovered. i was really surprised at the amount of meat that wasnt damaged with this shot.

i have been getting the best results as far as accuracy in the 2900 realm...i can post the load data if you would like.

accuracy has been excellent. a few three shot strings from the bench at 100yds have been darn near one holers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. also, accuracy out to 500yds has maintained moa...if i do my part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif....and the wind DOSNT do its part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Re: Good bullets? 200 AB Loads

longgunshooter,
Could you post your load data for the 200AB or send me a PM with the load data included? I'll be trying this bullet in my 300WM soon. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.