good basic scope

Mark Maggos

A friend has a Springfield M-14 and wants to scope it. He will use it to plink at water jugs out to 400yds. If he shoots it more than 4 times per year, I'll be surprised. Maybe a coyote once in a while. He will shoot strictly military factory loads. Any suggestions on a proper scope for the activities described will be greatly appreciated.

A Burris 3X9 fullfield with the ballistics plex will probably ring his bell. For a person who doesn't shoot much nor have much need for extreme range it is nice and fast and uncomplicated. The little chart will paste on the stock so you can read off which hash mark means what and do not need to rely on your memory. It will take care of 400 yards pretty well.

+1 on the ball plex burris , or for a few bucks less i have heard pretty good things about the pentax game seeker scopes for around $100 they come with a reticle similar to the ball plex.

I would think somthing in the neighborhood of a 2-7 2-8 type I prefer leupolds because if you want to keep the price down you can go with their VX-II or VX-I and you get the same warrenty. I just put a 2-7 on a buddys 7-08 and he likes it he shoots only during deer season and this is good for him and he didn't spend a fortune.
Hope this helps

RH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.