Good 300 wsm load

volunteerbee

I'm a newby here and also new to reloading And long range shooting.I'm looking for a good load for my 300 wsm.I would like to shoot 150 gr. Nosler ball.tip bullets.I will be shooting whitetails and coyotes from 100 to somewere around 700 yards max.Also a little target shooting.I'm currently shooting a factory loaded 130 Barnes but its very expensive to put those down the pipe just to see how good you are at long distance.I also feel like the 150 will do better at longer distances on the deer.Thanks in advance for any help.

Now this was with the 150grn Accubond!
60.8 grains of IMR4064 sparked by FED215GM.
.030 OFF MY LANDS.
THIS IS MAX LOAD YOU MAY WANT TO START AT 58.5 AND WORK UP. 58.5 is Nosler MOST accurate load using this powder.

Welcome to LRH,

First, if you're interested in LR shooting/hunting, then I would recommend heavier, high BC bullets for the 300 WSM. The minumum weight I would consider would be the 180's.

Here's a list of a few..

180 gr E-Tips, AB's
180 JLK VLD/LBT
185 gr Berger VLD
190 gr Beger/JLK VLD/LBT
200 gr AB
208 AMax
210 Berger/JLK VLD/LBT

I personally would shy away fron the more frangible Begers, JLK's and AMax's for closer range shots.

Two powders you might try would be H4350 and RL17. H4350 is a good consistant performer and temp stable. I found RL17 gave 200 fps more with 180 bullets than H4350 in *MY* rifle. Not sure about RL17's consistancy and temp sensitivity yet.

With 180's you want to start at about 60 gr and will probably find max at about 65-67 gr.

With heavier bullets, start a little lower and work up. Always work up no more than 1/2 gr at a time as I have found out the hard way:rolleyes:

Sorry, cant help you on the 150's.. haven't used them.

Good shooting,

Mark

Thanks for the help guys.I will look into those 180's and probably go with those. Anyone with more info on the 150's I would like to here what you think.Is the reason for the heavier bullet for accuracy or knockdown at the greater distances?

I would also recomend 4350, I have heard many good reports with it in 300wsm. It shot great in mine when I couldn't get 4064 to shoot, but every rifle is different. I have H4350, and did not try IMR4350, I see some of the load data is different for the two.

4350 shot ok in my 300 wsm, 760 shot better, but it is temperature sensitive at the upper end of the range it seems. you want heavier bullets for lr for a number of reasons, higher ballistic coefficient, better in the wind, and more energy usually down range. to name a few reasons i will be trying reloader 17 it was made for the short mag cartridges. i have been shooting 180 accubonds with the 300 wsm magazine feeding and length can be a concern, the 168-180 grain bullet range seems to be ok with powder capacity and working in magazines, but if you don't mind it being a single shot better yet for those bullets and others depending on the throat of your rifle.

...Is the reason for the heavier bullet for accuracy or knockdown at the greater distances?

BC is everything in LR. BC buck's wind, and get's down range with more velocity, energy and momentum. Not all heavier bullets have high BC's... i.e., I didn't mention 180 partitions because they dont have a good BC. Lighter bullets will have higher velocities and shoot flatter in the short run, but will run out of gas quickly because of low BC's.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.