Gonna open a can of worms.

KYHILLJACK

Alright ammo experts, need some advice. I hunt elk with a Winchester model 70. I have been shooting Remington Ultra Core Lokt, 160 gr rounds for the last 10 years. Have had no problems with the rounds. I have also killed many white tail with it. But for the last 2 years have only used the round for elk because Remington has discontinued it and I have only 43 rounds left. I'm looking to find another round to stock up on for the future. Factory rounds that are comparable to this one. I will admit my longest elk kill was 75 yds. and my closest has been about 25 yds, 35 yds. this year.
I'm lost with these new polymer tip rounds and just want something comparable to this round. I recently bought 100 rounds of Rem. Core Lokt 175 gr. just to have around. Fired one last year while checking rifle before hunt and it hit within 2 inches of the 160gr. round. I know the 175 will suffice for my close range shots but what other bonded factory round compares to the Ultra Core Lokt and will give me the same quality and ballistics in case I have to reach out to 400 yds?

With the new bullets that are being offered in factory ammo almost any quality premium ammo should work great. Nosler ammo, HSM ammo Federal premium ETC. I would see what you can find in the 160 gr you liked and give them a try.:)

What caliber? I assume 30 cal. I have a 300 winmag and I use 180gr Nosler Partition. Many others available but this works for me from deer to moose.

Good luck

I've been on several elk hunts and just from what I've seen, 180gr. Nosler Accubonds work fine. This was from a 300WSM Winchester Model 70. Winchester Silver Tips have a bad habit of coming apart inside elk and not doing a very good job. My $0.02 worth.

I use 150 in my old mans 300 and yes the silver balistic tips expode into a bunch of pices ... I have to weigh what's left .. Shot a doe with 125 minamal damage till hit bone on other side I got a bunch of 162 sst for my 7mm " but still working on getting the gun I like the sst most don't but iver never tracked any thing I've shot with them ...

Yes I have used Nosler partitions in factory loads, Federals. I also handload now trying to squeeze more accuracy out of my rifle.

If you are hand loading, I found the Swift Sciroco 150 to be a great shooting round in 4 different 7mm I've loaded for. The bullet has a great BC and I have dropped elk dead in their tracks out to 550 yards with it. Often at 400 yards, I have hit ribs on one side with a decent size entry wound in and the bullet exited out the far side with a good 1-2" hole. About half the time the bullet went through and through depending upon where the round hit in the ribs and how many bones it encountered. The bullets that I did recover mushroomed nicely and did not fall apart.

Three of the guns liked 67 grains of RL 22, and mine likes 68 grains. Its hot, and shoots 3/4" at 3280 fps out of a 26" brl. The 67 grain loads shoot 3150 out of 26" brls.

My only problem with the reloading is I can't find RL 22 anywhere.

Good luck!

If you are hand loading, I found the Swift Sciroco 150 to be a great shooting round in 4 different 7mm I've loaded for. The bullet has a great BC and I have dropped elk dead in their tracks out to 550 yards with it. Often at 400 yards, I have hit ribs on one side with a decent size entry wound in and the bullet exited out the far side with a good 1-2" hole. About half the time the bullet went through and through depending upon where the round hit in the ribs and how many bones it encountered. The bullets that I did recover mushroomed nicely and did not fall apart.

Three of the guns liked 67 grains of RL 22, and mine likes 68 grains. Its hot, and shoots 3/4" at 3280 fps out of a 26" brl. The 67 grain loads shoot 3150 out of 26" brls.

My only problem with the reloading is I can't find RL 22 anywhere.

Good luck!

Thanks for the loads on the 7mm. I have always been a 300 winmag fan but recently bought a 7mm mag. I will be experimenting with the 7mm. The high BC on some of those 7mm bullets look good and after going to Shawn Carlock's shooting school, I am still in shock how far we shot. And he uses more 7mm than others.

Funny, cause I'm just the opposite. My first rifle I purchased was my 7mm when I was 18. I won $500 at a big game raffle and turned it into a gun. The problem with my gun is it wasn't stainless. Riding on a horse with your gun in the scabbard for several hours can do wonders when it comes to rust. So about 4 years ago I bought a stainless .A Bolt 2 in a .300 win mag. It wasn't new, but gently used, and I like the stock much more than old one. So now I kill elk with the .300 and 7mm is my back up or my loner.

We always take two guns each when we elk hunt. Seems like every year somebody breaks something on their gun, drops it etc. Horses and guns can be a tricky adventure.

As far as the 7mm goes. Berger makes a good bullet and Nosler AB in 160 is a killer too. Good luck and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.